carbon seat stay creak

Feb 2005

carbon seat stay creak

has anybody had this happen to there bike. i have had the bike apart three times seems to come from seatpost area. switched seat and seatpost greased the seat clamp and bolt. the creak is louder when in the sadle.also when off the bike pushing the crank arm down tward the floor but onley the first time then turn crank push from other side it will do it agin. thanks for any help ps it is a felt frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

unlikely..

If a seat stay is creaking the frame is broken or the bond with a lug has come loose. More likley it's something more simple, like the saddle, or something in the pedal/cleat or bottom bracket area. Could even be a creaky rear wheel. I've had a couple of saddles that creaked and needed an occasional shot of spray lube where the rails are inserted into the shell. Of course that creak goes away immediately if you get out of the saddle.

Failure to adequately tighten a rear skewer can also cause a creak, but if should be as bad or worse out of the saddle.

Feb 2005
    i have bought new wheels[easton orion 2] and change pedals and shoes for a week long bike tour.i love the bike just need to go deaf.