Cassette change to 11-32t
    I'd change the cranks.

A standard crank with an 11-32 would be stretching it as far as chain length.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Cassette change to 11-32t

Just moved to a hilly area and so want to change my ultreaga 6700 11-25 t cassette to a 11-32 SRAM red or FSA kforce. My cranks currently is 39-53t. The question I have is what will I need to change other than the deraileur

RoadBikeReview Member

?????????

Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius
    I'd change the cranks.

A standard crank with an 11-32 would be stretching it as far as chain length.
    He already is prepared to get a new derailleur. A longer cage derailleur will handle the chain wrap.

And the standard crank has nothing to do with it. It's the difference between the rings and largest and smallest cogs that determines the wrap requirement. A 53-39 standard crankset actually requires less chain wrap than some compacts (34-50, e.g.)

omar, all you'd need is the cassette and derailleur. You might not even need the derailleur, but you'd have to check the specs on the chain wrap capacity of your currrent one.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    He already is prepared to get a new derailleur. A longer cage derailleur will handle the chain wrap.

And the standard crank has nothing to do with it. It's the difference between the rings and largest and smallest cogs that determines the wrap requirement. A 53-39 standard crankset actually requires less chain wrap than some compacts (34-50, e.g.)

omar, all you'd need is the cassette and derailleur. You might not even need the derailleur, but you'd have to check the specs on the chain wrap capacity of your currrent one.
    I'm not talking about chain wrap, I'm talking about the actual length of the chain. I say this because I've used this combo, when I first started road biking. It didn't work. The chain wasn't long enough; and it was a new, uncut one.

I had Ultegra 9 speed shifters, XT MTB derailleur, and SRAM 11-32 MTB cassette with a TruVativ Elita 53/39 crank on a steel Marin road bike. The chain was a new PC950. I didn't cut any links off. When in 53-28, the drivetrain would lock up because the chain was too short.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not talking about chain wrap, I'm talking about the actual length of the chain. I say this because I've used this combo, when I first started road biking. It didn't work. The chain wasn't long enough; and it was a new, uncut one.

I had Ultegra 9 speed shifters, XT MTB derailleur, and SRAM 11-32 MTB cassette with a TruVativ Elita 53/39 crank on a steel Marin road bike. The chain was a new PC950. I didn't cut any links off. When in 53-28, the drivetrain would lock up because the chain was too short.
    hmm, never ran into that. I guess you could splice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I would switch to a compact, to avoid the 4 tooth jumps on a 11-32 cassette. Unless you are planning on hitting 60+ mph on descents, a 50x11 will provide a plenty big gear for downhills.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks all. This very helpful. The fact as I have tight budget and so it s probably cheaper to focus on cassette/deraileur/chain as the crank set was upgraded to a SRAM red by the seller.

Now I have another question- I think 11-36 will give the same ease as a triple up a hill with this crank? Is this true? If so does anyone know of a road 11-36 as can't find on road products on either shaman or SRAM- only mtb. This eBay shop seems to sell the following under road category
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2011-Shimano...#ht_4001wt_770

Any views

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    A 36 tooth cassette would give you the same low gear as a triple with a 28t cassette. Thats a really, really low gear. Almost uselessly low. Even 32 is pretty low, above that is unreasonable.

It wouldnt be hard to find someone to swap a high quality compact crank with your red. It would be much more suitable than running a gigantic monster cassette (cheaper too).

Im slow and a poor climber, and I have a triple with a 28 cassette. I can ride almost everything in the middle (39t) ring. When I have to use the granny, I typically have to shift up a few cogs in the rear because 30/28 is sooooo low.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH
    A 36 tooth cassette would give you the same low gear as a triple with a 28t cassette. Thats a really, really low gear. Almost uselessly low. Even 32 is pretty low, above that is unreasonable.

It wouldnt be hard to find someone to swap a high quality compact crank with your red. It would be much more suitable than running a gigantic monster cassette (cheaper too).

Im slow and a poor climber, and I have a triple with a 28 cassette. I can ride almost everything in the middle (39t) ring. When I have to use the granny, I typically have to shift up a few cogs in the rear because 30/28 is sooooo low.

Thanks Tom- I'll get a 32 to be on the safe side. As you probably gathered I'm newish to riding so one last question is whether the SRAM cassette on my ultrega hub and rear deraileur?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010

I have to disagree here. I ran a 6700 double (53/39) with 6700 shifters, a 9 speed XT rear derailleur and 11-36 (10 speed) XT DynaSys cassette for over 6 months with no problems associated with chain length. The shifting wasn't buttery in the back but it worked and gave me way more range than a triple would have. I'm not sure what chain you ran but I was just using the 6700 chain, I even think I took out a link. Oh, and this was on a 58 frame.

If you go with SRAM it shifts much more smoothly but it will work on Shimano.
    2016 Trek Madone 9 H2 Fit
    2014 Cannondale SuperSix HiMod - Crit bike
    2014 Trek Speed Concept 9
    2016 Intense Carbine 29
    2016 Intense M16 Carbon

Decrepit Member

Quote Originally Posted by wedge962005
    I have to disagree here. I ran a 6700 double (53/39) with 6700 shifters, a 9 speed XT rear derailleur and 11-36 (10 speed) XT DynaSys cassette for over 6 months with no problems associated with chain length. The shifting wasn't buttery in the back but it worked and gave me way more range than a triple would have. I'm not sure what chain you ran but I was just using the 6700 chain, I even think I took out a link. Oh, and this was on a 58 frame.

If you go with SRAM it shifts much more smoothly but it will work on Shimano.
    Wouldn't the chain length problem be related to chainstay length as well as chainring and cog size? Typically, a given bicycle model will have the same chainstay length regardless of frame size.
    -Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Spoke to my lbs who said I should consider a 11-34 as that would be closest to a triple with 11-25 which I've tried and I like. Can anyone suggest a god cassette that can work well with my ultra group. Also should I expect that it will never be as smooth and do I need a long rear derailuer?