Sswitzky
    Sep 2018

Cassette compatibility for 2001 Chorus 10 spd

My bike from 2001 runs Chorus 10 speed, using an 11-25 cassette. Itís time for a new cassette and Chorus 10 speed is no longer made. Iím fine going with Centaur and I found an 11-27 new cassette, but iím not sure my derailleur can go to 27. I donít have the original documentation and there is no indication that I know of to tell if the derailleur cage is short or medium? Is there a way to tell?

Campyís website has tech manuals only as far back as 2010. The manual is confusing in that for the short cage, it says the minimum sprocket is 11, the maximum 26, and the range 16 and the max is 30. It also says that for a double chainring crank and a short cage derailleur, all cassettes except for 13-29 are compatible. Can 11-27 work for me?
    Last edited by sswitzky; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:55 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    One tooth only requires an additional 1/4 inch of chain and the minimum amount that can be added is 1 inch.

Make the chain as long as possible and there should be no problem. The best way to do that is to make the chain long enough that it does not hang loose in the little/little combination. Make a new chain 1 inch longer, using a quick link to connect it, to try the longer length. Even have a slightly loose chain in the little/little shouldn't hurt anything, but it shouldn't be used.

I never use the technique of wrapping the big/big (not through the RD) and adding an inch. Set it up with then chain routed through the RD.

https://branfordbike.com/rear-derailleur/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by sswitzky View Post
    My bike from 2001 runs Chorus 10 speed, using an 11-25 cassette. Itís time for a new cassette and Chorus 10 speed is no longer made. Iím fine going with Centaur and I found an 11-27 new cassette, but iím not sure my derailleur can go to 27. I donít have the original documentation and there is no indication that I know of to tell if the derailleur cage is short or medium? Is there a way to tell?

Campyís website has tech manuals only as far back as 2010. The manual is confusing in that for the short cage, it says the minimum sprocket is 11, the maximum 26, and the range 16 and the max is 30. It also says that for a double chainring crank and a short cage derailleur, all cassettes except for 13-29 are compatible. Can 11-27 work for me?
    Should not be an issue in any way. Campy rates things conservatively. No need for the higher end cassettes - they save just a little weight and cost a lot more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I run Campy 10-speed on all my road bikes. I recently switched from an 11-25 to a 12-27 with a short-cage rear derailleur. The derailleur shifts flawlessly on the 12-27. Shouldn't be an issue for you.

Sswitzky
    Sep 2018
    Did you need a longer chain? Did you need to adjust the b-screw on your derailleur?

Also, thanks to everyone who replied.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Did you need a longer chain? Did you need to adjust the b-screw on your derailleur?

Most likely not, but we can't say for sure w/o seeing your current set up in big/big. If your derailleur isn't pulled all the way forward when you're in big/big now you'll be fine.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member

Yes, increased the chain length. No, didn't adjust b-screw.

Sswitzky
    Sep 2018
    When Iím in the 53 tooth ring and the 25 tooth sprocket, I have about an inch of play when I push forward on the derailleurís mounting bolt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    2 teeth more means the need for a half link IF AND ONLY IF your chain was at the short end limit. This is because only half the cassette is engaged (same with the chain rings). Whether you need to adjust the b-screw is a highly individual situation. Try adjusting it and see what happens. If things don't get better, then it didn't need to be adjusted. If things got better then it needed to be adjusted.