Cassette and freehub spacer-no spacer
    What the what???

Could someone confirm what I think Iíve discovered the hard way...

Hope Pro 4 hub with SRAM 11sp PG-1130 cassette (11-42)

Spacer or no spacer?
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    No spacer.
    #promechaniclife

What the what???

Great, now Iím even more confused.

Discovered some play in individual cogs. Took off the cassette and I see where the play has been gouging the aluminum freehub. I reinstalled the cassette and tightened it down (no spacer).

A few days later after a ride, I notice the cogs are loose again. I try to do a little internet searching and get conflicting info. Shocking, I know.

Some say use a spacer.
    Some say no spacer.
    Others say no spacer for 11sp road cassettes, but yes if its an 11sp MTB cassette...
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Now that I've looked into it, this cassette is advertised to work on both 10 and 11 speed free hubs. I'm thinking that if that is true then you'd need something behind it when it's mounted on the 11 speed free hub. If it's like Mavic that would mean a 1.85mm spacer. I can't imagine that being correct, but at this point I'm at a loss. I've never installed one so I don't know exactly what needs to be done w/o seeing it in person. As far as I know there has never been a SRAM cassette of any kind that came w/ a spacer to be used on the free hub between the cassette and the hub.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    So will the PG 1130 in an 11-32 or 11-28 also fit on a 10 speed shimano hub? If not, are there other 11 speed cassettes that will?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Now that I've looked into it, this cassette is advertised to work on both 10 and 11 speed free hubs. I'm thinking that if that is true then you'd need something behind it when it's mounted on the 11 speed free hub. If it's like Mavic that would mean a 1.85mm spacer. I can't imagine that being correct, but at this point I'm at a loss. I've never installed one so I don't know exactly what needs to be done w/o seeing it in person. As far as I know there has never been a SRAM cassette of any kind that came w/ a spacer to be used on the free hub between the cassette and the hub.
    The cassette didnít come with a spacer, but the freehub did. I had assumed it was there if I wanted to run a 10sp cassette so I didnít use it when I put the PG 1130 on.

I put the spacer in last night and it gets rid of the play in the cassette and the lock ring still threads and tightens, so Iím going to give it a shot and see what happens. If I end up rounding off the freehub when Iím in the 11 tooth cog Iíll know I was wrong.

I wish manufacturers were clearer about the various compatibilities among cassettes and freehubs. It seems like a database is in order.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You should at least check your RD limits and indexing as well.
    We just donít realize the most significant moments of our lives when theyíre happening
    Back then I thought ďwell there'll be other daysĒ
    I didnít realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

What the what???

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    You should at least check your RD limits and indexing as well.
    Did that already. But itís a good reminder. Adding a spacer without readjusting stops is a good way to get a chain in the spokes.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 08-02-2017 at 12:38 PM.