Cassette upgrade help
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Question Cassette upgrade help

I have Shimano Ultegra 6600 rear derailleur with a 10 speed 12-25t cassette which I am looking to change for a Ultegra 10 speed, 11-34t or 11-36t. Can someone tell me if this will work without changing the derailleur?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauly_Walnuts View Post
    I have Shimano Ultegra 6600 rear derailleur with a 10 speed 12-25t cassette which I am looking to change for a Ultegra 10 speed, 11-34t or 11-36t. Can someone tell me if this will work without changing the derailleur?
    It's possible your derailleur could work with the 34 depending on how your derailleur hanger is sized, but it certainly exceeds Shimano's specification. Very unlikely it would work with a 36.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    It depends on your definition of 'work'!
    If it's beyond spec, it is beyond spec, I rode with a 32, but most would say it didn't 'work'. It had a few 'issues'.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    You could try something like the Wolftooth Components Road Link. It will increase the derailleur's max tooth capability. But be mindful of your derailleur's overall tooth capacity (cassette max tooth - cassette min tooth) + (largest chainring - smallest chainring).

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ducts/roadlink

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    I will not install a road link on a bike for just that reason. It allows you to use a bigger large cog but it doesn't do anything to make the derailleur wrap more chain. It's also detrimental to shifting in the smaller cogs. Any mechanic that installs one doesn't truly understand how derailleurs work and what 'capacity' is.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    A Wolftooth is a hack for sure. Trouble with the Wolftooth is that no matter how you size the chain, it will either be too short to work in the large/large combo (it will bind) or too long to work in the small/small combo (it will go slack).

For the $$ you spend on a Wolftooth, you could just find a new/old stock 8 or 9 speed mountain rear derailleur (mountain 10-speed will not work!). The 8 or 9 speed mountain derailleur will have a large enough cage to give you the chain wrap you need. Shifting will be a bit clunkier, but it will work.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    A Wolftooth is a hack for sure. Trouble with the Wolftooth is that no matter how you size the chain, it will either be too short to work in the large/large combo (it will bind) or too long to work in the small/small combo (it will go slack).

For the $$ you spend on a Wolftooth, you could just find a new/old stock 8 or 9 speed mountain rear derailleur (mountain 10-speed will not work!). The 8 or 9 speed mountain derailleur will have a large enough cage to give you the chain wrap you need. Shifting will be a bit clunkier, but it will work.
    How so?
    #promechaniclife

Matnlely Dregaend
    I have run an 11 speed Campy setup with a short derailleur (50/34 with 12-32 cassette) but really you should just change to a long cage derailleur. With a short cage derailleur you run the risk of ripping the derailleur apart on the big/big combo and you will have a very slack chain on the small/small. Even if the big/big works it may still rip the derailleur apart if the chain rides on top of the chainring when shifting from the small to the big ring.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    How so?
    As in more like a mountain groupo than a road groupo? Maybe "clunky" was the wrong word. How would you compare the feel of 9-speed Deore XT vs. 10-speed Ultegra?

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    As in more like a mountain groupo than a road groupo? Maybe "clunky" was the wrong word. How would you compare the feel of 9-speed Deore XT vs. 10-speed Ultegra?
    Ok, maybe...but it doesn't have anything to do w/ the derailleur. Shifters maybe, not the derailleur.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Ok, maybe...but it doesn't have anything to do w/ the derailleur. Shifters maybe, not the derailleur.
    OK. I would have thought the length of the cage would have something to do with this. Otherwise, why even bother making smaller cages? Weight weenies?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

The length of the cage really has nothing to do w/ the shift. It takes place at the upper pulley, so the cage is just kinda there. They make short cages for smaller cassettes, long cages for big cassettes...I'm sure weight has something to do w/ it. If you have a longer cage you need to have a longer chain. If you don't need the extra chain, use the short (light) cage.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    I have a 10 speed bike that came with Ultegra. When I switched to a larger cassette I noticed some shifting issues, so I went shopping for a 10s Ultegra medium cage derailler.

The closest thing I could find was a 10s 105. It definitely has a longer cage, but what surprised me a little was that the parallelogram is also longer, by around 5mm. I don't know if this is a 105/Ultegra difference or a short/medium difference. Shifting has been very good.