• 12-08-2012
    bolo yeung
    Centaur UT or new Athena UT Chainset ?
    Im after a new campagnolo alloy UT chainset. I can get either of the above for around the same price. Will be for use on a 10 speed Chorus equipped bike. I've already swapped over a Record 10 spd alloy chainset to Centaur UT on an old bike and was thinking of doing the same on another.

QUESTION: the chainrings on the Centaur UT Alloy are pressed instead of machined (if you look closely at the teeth, the quality of finish is not quite as good as the old chainrings on the square taper centuar crankset that were machined rather than pressed alloy).\

Am I correct that the chainrings on 11spd Athena UT alloy chainsets are also machined. I haven't seen them close up, only on internet pics (NB: as I'll be using it with a 10spd chain I'll put some of the 0.4mm washers between rings and crank to space rings out a little).
  • 12-08-2012
    bikerjulio
    My Athena UT, now a couple of years old, have machined rings.

No need to respace them. A 10 speed chain will run fine.
  • 12-08-2012
    DrSmile
    This is the main reason to get Athena over Centaur. The shifting is noticeably better.
  • 12-08-2012
    bikerjulio
    Just reread the OP. You do know that "new" Athena is PT right?

And my UT Athena crankset is the carbon version, so I'm not sure that the alloy version had the same rings.
  • 12-08-2012
    bolo yeung
    Thanks for making that point. The Athena chainset I'm looking at 'is' the compact 'UT' alloy model.
  • 12-08-2012
    bikerjulio
    Just to add to the fun, I also have an early Centaur UT crankset (2007), that has the machined rings. They cheeped out later.
  • 12-08-2012
    Richard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Just to add to the fun, I also have an early Centaur UT crankset (2007), that has the machined rings. They cheeped out later.

Ditto. In 2008 I scored a 2007 Centaur UT from Nashbar for $20 cheaper than the 2008stamped ring version from any of our wholesale suppliers (yes, I work in the bike biz.)

Very lucky as there is a big difference.:D
  • 12-09-2012
    bolo yeung
    The sad thing is, I'm buying this to replace another worn out alloy record crank and chain rings :'(

I've said it in other posts but I'm convinced the outboard bearing/UT system is a more efficient means of transferring power than the square taper/cartridge bb system. But thats just my opinion ;)
  • 12-09-2012
    DrSmile
    I bought two Centaur square tapered carbon cranks with machined EPS rings (compact and regular) when Nashbar was almost giving them away for $79 each. It was cheaper to buy the cranks than the rings alone!
  • 12-09-2012
    AC0
    [QUOTE=bikerjulio;4217047
    And my UT Athena crankset is the carbon version, so I'm not sure that the alloy version had the same rings.[/QUOTE]

I have an Alloy UT Athena (compact) crank and the rings are machined.

AC
  • 12-10-2012
    orange_julius
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bolo yeung View Post
    The sad thing is, I'm buying this to replace another worn out alloy record crank and chain rings :'(

I've said it in other posts but I'm convinced the outboard bearing/UT system is a more efficient means of transferring power than the square taper/cartridge bb system. But thats just my opinion ;)

I upgraded a frame from 2004-ish Record square-taper BB/crankset system to a 2008-ish Centaur UT BB/crankset system. The new system is stiffer, seems to spin more nicely, and lighter. Sounds good to me.