Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35
  1. #26
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,451
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    From my previous post...


    That's good enough for me.
    That has absolutely nothing to do w/ how ceramic bearings work and everything to do w/ your lack of knowledge about bearings in general.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,903
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    From my previous post...

    The rear disk free-wheeling on my TT bike (ceramic BB and OPSWs) keeps the drive train turning for an insane amount of time. That wasn't the case with "regular" bearings/pulleys. Might only be a few watts, but I'll take them!

    That's good enough for me.
    And what makes you think that turning for an "insane amount of time" will make any real world difference? Do you really think you can feel the difference in 5 watts if it's even that? I'm guessing more like 1 or 2 watts.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,734
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    The rear disk free-wheeling on my TT bike (ceramic BB and OPSWs) keeps the drive train turning for an insane amount of time. That wasn't the case with "regular" bearings/pulleys. Might only be a few watts, but I'll take them!
    That will make a big difference for those of us who ride on the moon. And when you figure out a way to ride a bike with no weight on it it'll help here on earth too.

    I have no idea how if you are saving watts or not. But I do know for sure giving the wheel or cranks a spin on the workstand is not a way to measure that.
    It's definitely theoretically possible for a bearing or bushing that spins great without the stress/weight of a rider to actually be worse once those pressures are introduced.

  4. #29
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    It's definitely theoretically possible for a bearing or bushing that spins great without the stress/weight of a rider to actually be worse once those pressures are introduced.
    BINGO. And not just theoretically.


    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    The benefit isn't zero (unlike speaker cables) and I can prove it, everything costs something, value (or "worth it") is a personal decision. Some people just like to pimp their ride and/or want to have the most efficient (or lightest or most aero) bike possible. If you don't, that's fine too.
    You didn't prove anything. "Feel" isn't proof.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    And what makes you think that turning for an "insane amount of time" will make any real world difference? Do you really think you can feel the difference in 5 watts if it's even that? I'm guessing more like 1 or 2 watts.
    No. It's less. It's fractions of a watt.

    As I posted previously, by CeramicSpeeds own "marketing". Their 75% BB drag reduction is ~0.2watts. Best case scenario. At 300w over 20mi that's a 0.6 second savings.
    When Friction Facts tested bottom brackets (not just "felt" them) the difference in drag between the top steel model (0.32W) and the best ceramic model (0.29W) was just 0.03W. That's a savings of 1/2 a second over 100miles. Statistically irrelevant.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,536
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    The benefit isn't zero (unlike speaker cables) and I can prove it, everything costs something, value (or "worth it") is a personal decision. Some people just like to pimp their ride and/or want to have the most efficient (or lightest or most aero) bike possible. If you don't, that's fine too.
    It is like speaker cables. Those carry bling factor for owners who like to show off so there is a benefit, just not in the actual performance. And just like others have noted, there are some measurable differences but they are so small that people couldn't hear it in actual listening tests.

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,046
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    It is like speaker cables. Those carry bling factor for owners who like to show off so there is a benefit, just not in the actual performance. And just like others have noted, there are some measurable differences but they are so small that people couldn't hear it in actual listening tests.
    You just gave me a great money making idea. I am going to market ceramic-coated speaker cables. Sure, they'll be expensive, far more expensive than anything on the market now, but if you listen really carefully, you'll clearly hear the difference. I may add a long waiting period just to add to the exclusivity

  7. #32
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,870
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    You just gave me a great money making idea. I am going to market ceramic-coated speaker cables. Sure, they'll be expensive, far more expensive than anything on the market now, but if you listen really carefully, you'll clearly hear the difference. I may add a long waiting period just to add to the exclusivity
    Call them "Beatz by Dr. DaveG". That way you not only dodge any trademark violations--you also cash in on brand misunderstanding as well.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  8. #33
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,118
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    You just gave me a great money making idea. I am going to market ceramic-coated speaker cables. Sure, they'll be expensive, far more expensive than anything on the market now, but if you listen really carefully, you'll clearly hear the difference. I may add a long waiting period just to add to the exclusivity
    Dude, you're way late to the party! You should've had this idea long ago. You'd be rich or something.

    https://blinkhighend.com/shop/cables...pades-2m-pair/
    $10,800.00
    C-level: CERAMIC Ansuz® C-level is where the magic of sound appears - you’ll not only hear the difference, you will actually feel it with all of your senses.

    That's right... you'd literally taste, see, and smell the sound!
    And if that's not enough, these bad boys are made with Copper, Silver, Carbon Fiber, Liquid Ceramic, and Graphene. The only thing they're missing is Unobtanium.
    Liquid Ceramic Speaker Cables
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,494
    GKSki...I'm older now. I train to race because I love it and am ok at it for an old ****. I look for any advantage I can. More in how to train (sleep, nutrition etc...) but I do scrutinize equipment. My Factor came stock with Ceramic Speed bearings. UNless you have a huge amount of disposable $ to spend this is just not the logical place to spend it. They make virtually no difference in performance.

    Not to be a hypocrite I spend a fair amount of money on clothes looking for free speed. Point is there are other places to save watts/gain speed before ceramics...

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,903
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    No. It's less. It's fractions of a watt.

    As I posted previously, by CeramicSpeeds own "marketing". Their 75% BB drag reduction is ~0.2watts. Best case scenario. At 300w over 20mi that's a 0.6 second savings.
    When Friction Facts tested bottom brackets (not just "felt" them) the difference in drag between the top steel model (0.32W) and the best ceramic model (0.29W) was just 0.03W. That's a savings of 1/2 a second over 100miles. Statistically irrelevant.
    I stand corrected!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Ceramic Speed vs. Enduro Ceramic Bearings
    By lotoja in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 06-19-2016, 09:13 AM
  2. Better Ceramic Hubs (Zipp+Ceramic Speed or DT Swiss 190)?
    By terminus123 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 08:34 PM
  3. Ceramic/Ceramic Hybrid Bearings for Pedals
    By ArkRider in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 03:08 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-28-2006, 05:06 PM
  5. Ceramic bearings, esp. Boca Bearings.
    By Ol Dirty Surfer in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.