chain rub with ultegra double
    lvm

Jun 2002

chain rub with ultegra double

i have an older road bike and recently upgraded the old RSX 7-spd stuff w/triple to ultegra double with a 53-39 up front & 9-spd rear. i kept the same front derailler. in the small ring up front, i can really only ride in the larger 4 cogs or so before i get interference and rubbing on the big ring. in the big ring it's the opposite, but i get rubbing from the inside of the front derailler.

is all of this fairly standard with a double up front? with the triple i could ride any gear combo without rubbing, though obviously crossing the chain would put more stress on the drivetrain. seems to me a narrower 9-spd front der. could only make any rubbing worse.

i think it's most bothersome when i'm jamming up some hill in the small ring and as the gradient flattens i shift down in the rear, but then have to let up to switch to the big ring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    sounds like you might have a set up problem. Are you using the half shift when you hear the rubbing start? The half shift is done by feathering the shifter and it will move the front der just a little.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    If your chain is rubbing the inside of the big ring it sounds as if your chainline isn't correct. That doesn't have anything to do with the front derailleur. Do you have the standard Ultegra bottom bracket? Do you have both chain rings bolted on correctly. With Shimano the tooth count stamp on the big ring should face to the right of the bike, and on the inside ring(s) the tooth count stamp should face to the left.
    Some Ultegra owners have found it necessary to use a spacer washer between the bottom bracket spindle and the crank spider to get the chain line correct. See your LBS.
    Are you using a 9-speed chain? If not is your chain as narrow as an Ultegra 9-speed chain?
    ~Al

Aug 2001
    What are you using for a shifter?

My guess is that a good front derailleur adjustment will take care of at least part of it but you might still be left with some chain rubbing against the inside of the big ring in some of the little/little combinations.

To adjust your front derailleur, go to Park Tools website start at the very beginning of front derailleur adjustment and don't skip any steps. The correct positioning of the derailleur on the seat tube is vital.

As far as the other thing goes, I've tried using a spacer under my bottom bracket to "sweeten" the chainline and I've switched from a Sachs chain to a slightly narrower Dura Ace chain, but I still get chain rubbing against the inside of the big chain ring. Now I just use that as an audible reminder to shift into the big ring.

lvm

Jun 2002
    thanks for the responses. the chain is an SRAM 9-spd, both shifters are ultegra. the ultegra cranks are new and the chainrings appear as Al described. i adjusted the angle of the derailler and cable tension and it looks like i might have more clearance now in the big ring. i'll have to see on the next ride. the lower 4 cogs are pretty much off limits with the small ring due to chain rub on the large ring.

i have a BB spacer so maybe i'll try that next. i'm also fairly large (6'3", 200lbs) so i get a decent amount of flex in the BB area which probably isn't helping any. i'm usually in the big ring except for bigger climbs so if i could use all but the two largest cogs i think i'd be fine.

May 2004
    Last edited by Foober; 05-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.

May 2004

same problem

I've got a Shimano Ultegra group that rubs in the smallest 3-4 cogs not matter what I do. The same group has been on 3 different frames with varying chain stay lengths and the problem persisted. I've had several different bike shops work on it, and the best they can is adjust it so it only rubs in the last 3 cogs.

However, I finally found the fix and I can't believe it took me almost 4 years to figure it out. You just need to learn how to "trim" the front derailleur. When you're in the small chainring and it starts to rub, lightly "shift" the left brake lever (not the smaller, inner lever). It just takes a half-shift, if that makes sense. Anway, if you do it right, the noise goes away and you can use all of the rear cogs without rubbing -- although it's still not a good idea use use the small-small gear combination.

I had trouble learning this technique because I thought trimming the front derailleur meant half-shifting the smaller, inner lever on the left side. When you do that, nothing happens. You have to trim with the brake lever.

kg1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Use a Shim

What frame do you have?

I had the same problem with my Ultegra set up on a Gunnar (cheap Waterford) and it drove me carzy. I couldn't use the last four cogs on the rear if I was in the small ring without significnat chain rub on the large ring.

The shop I bought the bike from fiddled and fiddled and even tried an ultegra triple BB. That made the bike look a little funny, and still it didn't work.

I finally took the bike to a different shop and that shop installed a 10mm shim between the BB shell and the nut that holds the BB in place. That moved the rings out 10mm and now I can use all but the last cog on the rear without the rubbing problem. They also installed a Dura Ace BB because they didn't have an Ultegra one in stock, but I don't think that had much to do with the solution.

I blamed the frame alignment for the problem, but we are not alone with this problem with Ultegra. I posted here when I was trying to get my bike fixed, and several people responded with a similar problem. You can search for "chain alignment" and probably find several threads.

Good luck, and Ultegra works great when it's working.

kg1

lvm

Jun 2002

all is well

i got it adjusted where there's no rubbing on the derailler when in the big ring for any of the rear cogs. my last ride was great, no problems. the head mechanic at the lbs agreed with what others have said, it's just going to rub in the small-small combos.

of course now my biggest problem is the steep climbs with a 39-25 on dogwood road and triadelphia road around ellicott city, md.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

Chain Ring Rub

Quote Originally Posted by kg1
    What frame do you have?

I had the same problem with my Ultegra set up on a Gunnar (cheap Waterford) and it drove me carzy. I couldn't use the last four cogs on the rear if I was in the small ring without significnat chain rub on the large ring.

The shop I bought the bike from fiddled and fiddled and even tried an ultegra triple BB. That made the bike look a little funny, and still it didn't work.

I finally took the bike to a different shop and that shop installed a 10mm shim between the BB shell and the nut that holds the BB in place. That moved the rings out 10mm and now I can use all but the last cog on the rear without the rubbing problem. They also installed a Dura Ace BB because they didn't have an Ultegra one in stock, but I don't think that had much to do with the solution.

I blamed the frame alignment for the problem, but we are not alone with this problem with Ultegra. I posted here when I was trying to get my bike fixed, and several people responded with a similar problem. You can search for "chain alignment" and probably find several threads.

Good luck, and Ultegra works great when it's working.

kg1
    I've noticed for some time that there are way too many riders reporting problems with chain rub on the side of the big ring on Ultegra doubles. I think it has something to do with the design not fitting the standard chain line specs. A lot of folks seem to be confusing this with derailleur rub, a totally different problem. I was glad to see that you described exactly how the shop fixed yours with a spacer.
    ~Al

Aug 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by kg1
    I finally took the bike to a different shop and that shop installed a 10mm shim between the BB shell and the nut that holds the BB in place. That moved the rings out 10mm and now I can use all but the last cog on the rear without the rubbing problem. They also installed a Dura Ace BB because they didn't have an Ultegra one in stock, but I don't think that had much to do with the solution.kg1
    10mm??? That's almost 1/2 an inch! You sure it's not 2mm?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I have the same small to small cog rubbing against the front derailleur problem. I told my lbs about it after I first test rode the bike. The guy tried to fix it, but then when he switched from small to big on the front derailleur, it popped the chain right over and over shot it. After about 20 minutes of him trying to fix it, the head mech looked at it and pretty much put it back the way it was, shortening the cable a little.

kg1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Thanks for the correction

Quote Originally Posted by Spoke Wrench
    10mm??? That's almost 1/2 an inch! You sure it's not 2mm?
    Thanks for the correction. You must be right. The shim isn't noticable so it couldn't be 10mm.

Sorry for the confusion.

kg1
    Last edited by kg1; 07-19-2004 at 09:40 AM.