Chain Slap & Chain Length
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

Chain Slap & Chain Length

Ok, been riding 9 speed forever, 105, short cage dr. Chain slap was negligible.

Now, 11 Speed Ultegra. Short cage, bits itís longer and chain slap increases compared to shorter dr. Can my chain be to long? Followed the chain instructions....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Are your chainrings & cassette within the limits of shimano spec?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Yep, 50/34, 11-28. Iím thinking maybe the 28 toother is causing needing the longer chain. Been riding 12-25 for ever...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saddle tramp View Post
    Yep, 50/34, 11-28. Iím thinking maybe the 28 toother is causing needing the longer chain. Been riding 12-25 for ever...
    fold a couple links together with your fingers and the DR pulled forward just enough in Big=Big combination and see how extreme the angle is, maybe post a picture in big / big.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    It's a bike, it has a chain, you're going to have noise! .. or stop throwing the bike left/right when you pedal.
    BANNED

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    All you need to do is put the bike in a stand and shift into small-small. Does the chain have tension? If the rear derailleur is putting tension on the chain nothing you do to the length of the chain will change anything. Is it 6800 or 8000?

ETA: Are you using 34-13, 12, or 11?
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Itís 8000.

Not sure what your asking 34-13, 12, or 11?

Running 50/34 11-28

Thanks so much I bring it into the basement in the morning and look into what you all advise...thanks!

Itís 8000.

Not sure what your asking 34-13, 12, or 11?

Running 50/34 11-28

Thanks so much I bring it into the basement in the morning and look into what you all advise...thanks!
    If the chain hits the stay in those gears stop using them. They make no sense anyway. Also the 8000 rear derailleur has a much more effective b-tension adjustment and you can easily create a little more tension on the chain w/ it. Start w/ checking as I described in my earlier post...chain in 34/11.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Gotcha, no, not running on the the 34 and the smaller cogs on the cassette. Good point. Just brought the bike in the house after some coffee going to put it on the stand and look deeper....

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Now, 11 Speed Ultegra. Short cage, bits itís longer and chain slap increases compared to shorter dr. Can my chain be to long?
    What do you mean by chain slap? Chain slap is when the chain bounces up and down on the chainstay on rough roads. Typically an issue on MTB's.

I always size my chain using the small-small method, making it the longest length possible without dragging on the chainstay. I never get chain slap.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    When I hit a bump it sounds like chain banging around by the rear dr. Kind of a slightly metallic klink klink banging noise. And it just sounds like slack in the chain in my minds eye. It gone as soon as things smooth out. In my head I see the cage bouncing and Iím thinking chain slap. Iím examining my memory if indeed I am cross chaining....all in all the Ultegra 11 is very nice. Btw, Iím using the flatbar road level Shimano shifters. And the previous 9 speed flatbar shifters had indicators which has me thinking, but I would like to doubt it, that maybe there is some cross chaining going on cause I donít have the visual of the indicator. The 11 shifters donít have indicators....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    EB646D09-1CE0-492B-82F5-554F55F77E04.jpg
    34653584-08A6-42EC-9E52-FC37FCD8D3FB.jpg34653584-08A6-42EC-9E52-FC37FCD8D3FB.jpg
    On a level floor... I checked big/big, small/small and in the quiet of the basement just dropping the back tire and in the stand it looks like itís coming from where the chain engages the crankrings, maybe a little more on the bottom. Not banging into the adjacent ring. The ring itís on, if that makes sense. Iím going to ride almost the identical bike but with the 9 on it today...itís possible my mind is slipping. Donít get me wrong, these bikes ride like dreams. Bikes are really nice these days. I can only imagine the electronic gear...

I don't know what you don't understand about small/small but that's what matters. Not big/big, not big/small. Small chainring...small cog. From the looks of things I doubt your chain is too long but that's the way to check.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Small/small thereís tension. I guess it begs the question how much and how do you measure...

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    What do you mean by chain slap? Chain slap is when the chain bounces up and down on the chainstay on rough roads. Typically an issue on MTB's.

I always size my chain using the small-small method, making it the longest length possible without dragging on the chainstay. I never get chain slap.
    Small/small thereís tension. I guess it begs the question how much and how do you measure...
    This is close. You want just enough tension so that the bottom run of chain doesn't touch the upper derailleur pulley. If you do this and all the parts of your drivetrain are within the capacity of the rear derailleur you'll never have a sagging chain nor will you rip the derailleur off the bike when in big/big.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    EB646D09-1CE0-492B-82F5-554F55F77E04.jpg
    34653584-08A6-42EC-9E52-FC37FCD8D3FB.jpg34653584-08A6-42EC-9E52-FC37FCD8D3FB.jpg
    On a level floor... I checked big/big, small/small and in the quiet of the basement just dropping the back tire and in the stand it looks like itís coming from where the chain engages the crankrings, maybe a little more on the bottom. Not banging into the adjacent ring. The ring itís on, if that makes sense. Iím going to ride almost the identical bike but with the 9 on it today...itís possible my mind is slipping. Donít get me wrong, these bikes ride like dreams. Bikes are really nice these days. I can only imagine the electronic gear...
    Definitely not too long, you can't take a link out of that for sure.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Great talk, thanks! Just got back from pedaling. So nice. Nobody is out, windy, coolish. Before I cut any links Iím going to use the calculator and just count the links and see.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Before I cut any links Iím going to use the calculator and just count the links and see.
    What in the world does that mean?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Great talk, thanks! Just got back from pedaling. So nice. Nobody is out, windy, coolish. Before I cut any links Iím going to use the calculator and just count the links and see.
    Don't bother w/ that stuff. Shift it into small/small and just look. You're way better off knowing it's right because you can see it than relying on someone else's 'calculator'.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    Short cage RD is spec'ed for 28T. This should not be a problem.

As CX said, if there is still RD tension in small/small, you're adjusted correctly. If you remove a link, you will probably bind in large/large which will not end well if you go into that combo while riding the bike.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    For what itís worth I counted the links, 110, exactly what the calculators say. The tension on small/small seems fine. Shift to bib/big, why you would who knows, is very nice. All in all this rig runs like a dream other than on some bigger ďbumpsĒ the bike is silent running at itís best, delicious. I mean very quiet, so the slight chatter Iím thinking is the chain where it engages the crankrings. Not really chainslap.

Iím going to monkey around with the b screw a little and see if itíll find the link engagement sweet spot at the chainrings....

For what itís worth I counted the links, 110, exactly what the calculators say. The tension on small/small seems fine. Shift to bib/big, why you would who knows, is very nice. All in all this rig runs like a dream other than on some bigger ďbumpsĒ the bike is silent running at itís best, delicious. I mean very quiet, so the slight chatter Iím thinking is the chain where it engages the crankrings. Not really chainslap.

Iím going to monkey around with the b screw a little and see if itíll find the link engagement sweet spot at the chainrings....
    Big/big can come in handy sometimes and contrary to popular myth is fine to use, just don't spend all day in it. Not sure what you are talking about w/ the b-tension screw, that has nothing to do w/ the chainrings.
    #promechaniclife