Chainline with Shimano FC-R700 Compact Crankset
    RoadBikeRider

Chainline with Shimano FC-R700 Compact Crankset

Hi,

I am running a Shimano FC-R700 Compact Crankset and a 10 speed cogset. The centerline of the chainrings are not inline with the centerline of the rear cogs. I know it is wise to keep things lined up here but do not see any adjustability with the integrated headset. The crank should be moved approx 1/4 inch closer to the bike to make it straight. I currently do not have any shifting isues but was wondering if there is anyway to align things with this crankset?

Thanks.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    It sounds like you're trying to figure your chainline without using a reference line. Can't be done. To see if you have an acceptable chainline, you need to measure the distance from your chainline to your frame's centerline. That distance should be 43.5 mm for your crank. A millimeter here or there is well within tolerances.

Front: measure the distance from a line midway between the front- and rear chainring to the center of the seat tube. It should be 43.5 mm.

Rear: measure the distance from the inside of the dropout to the middle of the cassette. Multiply that by 2. Subtract the result from the frame spacing (or the locknut-to-locknut axle width). Divide the result by 2 to get your rear chainline. It should also be 43.5 mm.
    Last edited by wim; 11-16-2007 at 06:39 PM.

RoadBikeRider

That's more like it!

Thanks Wim,

I took crappy measurements before. Using your method looks like it is within .75mm.

T

May 2002
    Regardless, the chain still rubs alot when your in the small ring and get towards the smaller cogs. I know it's cross-chaining, but the compact seems to magnify it.

Flash