Changing a chain every 6 months? Crazy?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Changing a chain every 6 months? Crazy?

OK, I was listening to a podcast on a UC Davis radio station and they were talking about spring maintenance. A shop owner indicated that a chain should replaced every 6 months to ensure long life for freewheel cassettes, even if you regularly lube your chain. Is it me or does that just sound ridiculous? He's talking about regular bike maintenance for daily riders, not racers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

nonsense...

That's talks from someone trying to sell lots of chains. It's well documented that when the chain has worn enough to increase the length by .5% (1/16 inch per foot) it's time to change. I've changed them sooner, but they chain had a year's use and 4000 miles on it. The chain could have been used much longer.

May 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    OK, I was listening to a podcast on a UC Davis radio station and they were talking about spring maintenance. A shop owner indicated that a chain should replaced every 6 months to ensure long life for freewheel cassettes, even if you regularly lube your chain. Is it me or does that just sound ridiculous? He's talking about regular bike maintenance for daily riders, not racers.
    I'm thinking that most "daily" riders could probably go without ever changing their chain. How many years does it take for a couple-times-around-the-block rider to rack up 5000 - 8000 km?

Feb 2005

Penny wise and pound foolish?

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    It all depends on how well the chain is lubed during its life and how dirty it gets. On mountain bikes, it's not unusual to replace the chain every 3 or 4 months. If the chain is not replaced in time, then the rest of the drivetrain will wear to accomodate the worn chain. Eventually shifting will suffer and the only way to fix it will be to replace the chain, the front chainrings, and the rear cassette. It's a lot cheaper to replace just the chain!

50ft. Queenie
    i just bought a Park chain checker.... i used it on a chain that was replaced in the middle of last season. lubed and cleaned regularly.... sense december, it had seen an additional 150hrs (sorry, not sure on milage) it was passed the 1% wear mark. i was a little surprised. put a new chain on...and everything runs smooth with the existing cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you ride a lot you might do it more, if you don't ride much you might do it less... If you use cheap SRAM 8sp chains you might be willing to do it more, if you have expensive Campy chains you might do it less...

May 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    If you use cheap SRAM 8sp chains you might be willing to do it more, if you have expensive Campy chains you might do it less...
    What is up with campag chains? They seem to last a lot longer than others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Utah CragHopper
    What is up with campag chains? They seem to last a lot longer than others.
    And what's up with Campy hubs, they seem to last a lot longer than others. Etc. Maybe they're just better made?

And to the OP's question. Is that replace every 6 months when riding 100 miles a month, or riding 1000 miles a month? The question and the response just points out the absurdity of trying to make a blanket statement. Measure the chain and replace when it reaches 0.5% elongation. Simple as that, and you can measure it with any decent ruler, eyballing the 1/16" if your ruler only has 1/8" gradations.