• 12-25-2019
    Opus51569
    Chasing the click... Christmas Edition
    I have been chasing a tick/clicking sound since this summer. The sound seems to be tied to pedal revolutions, happening when my right/drive side foot is in approximately the 2 o'clock position starting the downstroke. Here is the litany of things I have: checked, swapped, disassembled, lubed and re-torqued to spec that could be tied to pedal revolution...

Pedals
    Cleats (this was the easiest since I run platform pedals, but I actually checked the tread of my shoes to see if maybe a pebble was in there clicking against the pedal)
    Saddle
    Seatpost
    Seatpost clamp
    Stem
    Headset

All for naught. I deliberately saved the bottom bracket and crank for last because I really didn't want it be that. The crank is a 1X ROTOR Aldhu with an oval ring that I got for free and I really like it. I had pulled it, re-greased everything, reinstalled everything to spec and checked for play hoping that would fix things. Sure enough, though, after yesterday's frustrating click-filled ride I bit the bullet and pulled the crank and bottom bracket entirely and swapped it out with an old SRAM crank and GXP bottom bracket from the parts bin. A blissfully quiet 23 mile ride today confirmed it is something in the ROTOR setup.

I suspect it might have something to do with the clamping lock ring that is used to set the load for the bearings in the bottom bracket. It's a threaded ring that is split so it can be easily threaded on. Once you do, you tighten a small bolt that closes the split and clamps the ring in place. It seems like a fairly fragile piece and the threads are very fine. This is just a guess, though. I suppose it could also be the bottom bracket not interfacing well with the frame. Anyone else running an Aldhu crankset with an oval Q-Ring experienced noise issues?

Meanwhile, it looks like I'm back to circular rings for now, but I'll take it in exchange for a click-free ride.
  • 12-25-2019
    duriel
    ..... music!
  • 12-25-2019
    Opus51569
    Quote:

Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    ..... music!

Nah. I like a quiet ride. Ideally, I'd only hear the wind and the low murmur of tires rolling on pavement.
  • 12-26-2019
    Kerry Irons
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I have been chasing a tick/clicking sound since this summer. The sound seems to be tied to pedal revolutions, happening when my right/drive side foot is in approximately the 2 o'clock position starting the downstroke. Here is the litany of things I have: checked, swapped, disassembled, lubed and re-torqued to spec that could be tied to pedal revolution...

Pedals
    Cleats (this was the easiest since I run platform pedals, but I actually checked the tread of my shoes to see if maybe a pebble was in there clicking against the pedal)
    Saddle
    Seatpost
    Seatpost clamp
    Stem
    Headset

All for naught. I deliberately saved the bottom bracket and crank for last because I really didn't want it be that. The crank is a 1X ROTOR Aldhu with an oval ring that I got for free and I really like it. I had pulled it, re-greased everything, reinstalled everything to spec and checked for play hoping that would fix things. Sure enough, though, after yesterday's frustrating click-filled ride I bit the bullet and pulled the crank and bottom bracket entirely and swapped it out with an old SRAM crank and GXP bottom bracket from the parts bin. A blissfully quiet 23 mile ride today confirmed it is something in the ROTOR setup.

I suspect it might have something to do with the clamping lock ring that is used to set the load for the bearings in the bottom bracket. It's a threaded ring that is split so it can be easily threaded on. Once you do, you tighten a small bolt that closes the split and clamps the ring in place. It seems like a fairly fragile piece and the threads are very fine. This is just a guess, though. I suppose it could also be the bottom bracket not interfacing well with the frame. Anyone else running an Aldhu crankset with an oval Q-Ring experienced noise issues?

Meanwhile, it looks like I'm back to circular rings for now, but I'll take it in exchange for a click-free ride.

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from
    - BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, all metal to metal contact surfaces, and torque to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), the faces of tapered BB axles if they have a little corrosion
    - bolt holding the BB cable guide onto the frame (grease threads and make sure the bolt is not touching the BB shell inside the frame)
    - BB cable guide (grease threads and tighten)
    - crank bolts (grease threads and washers)
    - chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms)
    - a dirty chain, inadequately lubed chain, stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain
    - front derailleur clamp (clean and put a light film of grease on the inside of the clamp where it touches the seat tube)
    - front derailleur cage hitting crank arm
    - the pedals (grease the threads and the shoulders of the axle where it butts against the crank arm, get some wax, silicone etc. on the cleats, check for play in the bearings, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible)
    - shoes/cleats - loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface, cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals (wax lube, silicone, or furniture polish)
    - seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post clamp, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body)
    - bars and stem (grease the stem where it clamps to steerer or goes into the steerer if quill type, top cap, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem)
    - grease/tighten QRs and where the hub axle contacts the frame
    - tighten cassette lock ring, grease cassette hub body and cassette spacers
    - grease steerer tube spacers (if threadless)
    - replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble)
    - any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.)
    - cables hitting the frame (cable donuts), or shifting in their end ferrules (lube contact points).

Wheels can make noises when pedaling or coasting (check for spoke tension, particularly on the rear non drive side, put a drop of lube where each pair of spokes cross and where each spoke enters the rim and the hub flange, check for loose metal bits or spoke nipples in the body of the rim and cracks in the rim at spoke holes.).
  • 12-26-2019
    duriel
    Like I said, easiest fix is ...... MUSIC!
  • 12-28-2019
    Jay Strongbow
    End of der. cable hitting crank is worth looking at.......although that would happen a bit before 2 o'clock it's obviously a once per revolution at the same time type of thing.