Chorus Rear Hub Overhaul Question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Chorus Rear Hub Overhaul Question

I began the process of disassembling my 1999 Chorus rear hub tonight in order to overhaul it but I was thwarted before finishing. I removed the drive side nut (by turning clockwise) and the freehub body. I also removed the non-driveside nut with a 5mm allen and the lock nut with a 2.5mm allen. After that I was stumped. What do I do in order to gain access to the bearings? I have a printout of the hub internals from the Campagnolo website but it does not go into disassembly instructions.
    That PDF document is located at: http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares99-B.pdf
    on page 38.
    Many thanks for anyone with assistance for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Try this web site and see if any of the pictures will help: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

RoadBikeReview Member

Need to get the cones and seals off

You're almost there. You should be able to lie the wheel on its side, on the axle-end, and tap out the axle. That will force out the seals on one side. Flip the wheel to do the other side. If the seals don't come off, you can also use a small pointed object like an awl and gently lift up the seal on the outside circumfrence and remove them both.

The rest is easy. Hardest part is getting the freehub body on with the pawl springs and springs correctly positioned. The Campy tool UT-HU080 is essential unless you're really good with string when your fingers are slippery with grease.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by boneman
    Hardest part is getting the freehub body on with the pawl springs and springs correctly positioned. The Campy tool UT-HU080 is essential unless you're really good with string when your fingers are slippery with grease.
    Crikey! is there a tool for that?? String?? I hold the the pawls in with the fingertips of one hand and slide the freehub body over them with the other hand, with a slight anti-clockwise rotation of the freehub body as it's sliding over.
    Amazing what you can do with opposable thumbs!
    Who the hell are these children...and why are they calling me "Dad"?

Every little counts...
    LOL! Opposable thumbs!

Yes, the freehub body goes in easily just by turning it into the hub. I use 3-in-1 oil and not grease, as a grease treatment may cause missed engagement. Phil's tenacious oil is as thick as I would go, but be careful when it is cold.

There is a cone centering ring which is sorta sprun onto the axle which requires you to tap the axle out to get the rest apart. Read the manuals at campagnolo.com as it is quite easily explained.