Chris King headset/expander plug - very tight
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013

Chris King headset/expander plug - very tight

Just wanted to see if I am doing something wrong.
    My CK expander plug is VERY tight, i have to press very hard on it to get it down the steerer tube - and this is with the expander screw backed up so that it's in its most relaxed state, ie not expanded at all.
    Once i push it in its so tight that i dont think i would be able to pull it out. Am i doing something wrong?
    For reference, on top of the topcap it says "King sealed bearing, NoThreadSet"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    The last Chris King Headset I bought didnít come with an expander plug, just a top cap with a star nut. The expander plug came along with the fork and I moved the top cap over.

Can you post pictures of the plug? Without knowing more, Iíd say it wasnít fully loosened up...but without knowing what type of plug it is, itís hard to say what to do. If the plug wasnít supplied with the fork, there is also the chance itís the wrong size for the steerer tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWarner View Post
    The last Chris King Headset I bought didnít come with an expander plug, just a top cap with a star nut. The expander plug came along with the fork and I moved the top cap over.

Can you post pictures of the plug? Without knowing more, Iíd say it wasnít fully loosened up...but without knowing what type of plug it is, itís hard to say what to do. If the plug wasnít supplied with the fork, there is also the chance itís the wrong size for the steerer tube.

Here are a few photos
    the one inside the steerer tube is after i pushed it in and now cant get it out

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If U take those expanders off, will the rest of it fit in the steer tube? If not, it's the wrong size. Otherwise just squeeze those expanders down with some plyers.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Doesnít look like a part Iím familiar with but all of them work pretty much the same. For the part stuck in the head tube, is there a threaded cone on the bottom of the tube? If there is, knock it out with a dowl rod to relive the pressure and you should be able to pull the sleeve out.