click-click...ping, click. Am Classic cr-420 hub noise
    RoadBikeReview Member

click-click...ping, click. Am Classic cr-420 hub noise

That's the noise coming from my Am Classic rear hub off my cr-420's. I started getting those noises a couple hundred miles ago so I removed the bearings for inspection and noticed both non drive-side bearings were spinning roughly. I repacked the bearings per the American Classic website's tech section and reassembled. It's a lot quieter but still incur some pinging from the hub. I also noticed a lot of play in the hub even though the nuts are nice and tight.

Question: Do I need new bearings? and if the hub's nuts are tight, why so much play?

Thanks to all!!
    are you having fun?...

RoadBikeReview Member

If I remember correctly...

...you need to adjust the bearings of the rear AC hubs with the hub in the frame. You want to remove 99% of the play so that there is just some ever so slightly play in the hub. When I had my 2004 AC hubs, I would put my hands on either side of the wheel and try rocking it back and forth to detect any play. When the play was just barely noticeable, I stopped fiddling with it. I know there was a recent design change, but in order to adjust them you need two 18 or 19mm cone wrenches...you could use one cone wrench and a "regular" wrench, but you will likely chew-up one of the adjusting nuts.

As far as needing new bearings, if you removed and regreased, then you should be good to go. Are you sure the pinging is from the hub and not from the spokes, nipples, etc.?

May 2002
    If cartridge bearings are removed by knocking them out, they're basically junk and you need to replace them. How are they removed from AMC hubs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=PsyDoc]...you need to adjust the bearings of the rear AC hubs with the hub in the frame. You want to remove 99% of the play so that there is just some ever so slightly play in the hub.

AH yes. I forgot about that little tidbit. Thanks
    are you having fun?...

RoadBikeReview Member

It didn't take much effort to knock them out

Quote Originally Posted by divve
    If cartridge bearings are removed by knocking them out, they're basically junk and you need to replace them. How are they removed from AMC hubs?

I used a fat screwdriver and tapped a couple times around the outside of the bearing case and they popped right out. I was careful with them once out and followed the tech guide on bearing overhaul on the Am Classic website. Once packed with grease I gently tapped them back into place. They still feel a bit rough but I have only one 70 mile ride on them so they might need a little more time to get gunky.
    are you having fun?...