Cold Day Chain Noise?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Cold Day Chain Noise?

A new chain I installed on my beach cruiser over the summer is now making loud noise and fell out of chain ring today (25 d F). It was working fine during the summer but when the temp dipped below freezing, it started to happen. Colder it gets, the louder and more fluttering it becomes as if the lube isn't working. When I got back indoor and a few minutes later, no problem.

My chain is KMC Rust Buster (galvanized coating) 3/32 width 116 links. It is well lubricated with Chain-L which I've never had issues in cold temp. Can this be KMC Rust Buster chain specific?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    A new chain I installed on my beach cruiser over the summer is now making loud noise and fell out of chain ring today (25 d F). It was working fine during the summer but when the temp dipped below freezing, it started to happen. Colder it gets, the louder and more fluttering it becomes as if the lube isn't working. When I got back indoor and a few minutes later, no problem.

My chain is KMC Rust Buster (galvanized coating) 3/32 width 116 links. It is well lubricated with Chain-L which I've never had issues in cold temp. Can this be KMC Rust Buster chain specific?
    From the information provided, it sounds like the lube is stiffening in the cold. Try sluicing the chain with WD-40 to remove all the existing lube and then applying something like ProLink. Odds are this will fix it outright. Alternatively you have a link that goes stiff in the cold because of the shrinkage of the metal. Turn the crank slowly and see if you can spot a stiff link.

a real member's member
    you're riding a beach cruiser in sub freezing temps?

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Russian Troll Farmer
    ...must be one hell of a beach!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I'm sure you all know that it's "beach" cruiser. For me, it's a short distance commuter bike and it serves well for that. It's made for upright position and thick tires give smooth ride.

Anyways, I scrubbed the chain with de-greaser and relubed with engine oil but to no avail. I think there is something about this particular chain. I'll have to swap it out with different one and see what happens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    I'm sure you all know that it's "beach" cruiser. For me, it's a short distance commuter bike and it serves well for that. It's made for upright position and thick tires give smooth ride.

Anyways, I scrubbed the chain with de-greaser and relubed with engine oil but to no avail. I think there is something about this particular chain. I'll have to swap it out with different one and see what happens.
    Did you search for a stiff link? Seems like the culprit if a clean and lube didn't fix it. Simple fix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    It's the whole chain that acts like it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    U need to change to 5-30 oil for your chain, pretty simple really.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I've been using the same chain lube (Chain-L) for last 5 years and never had such problem until I installed this "Rust Buster" chain. I have a new (regular) chain coming soon. I'll find out what happens.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    My chain is KMC Rust Buster (galvanized coating) 3/32 width 116 links.
    Try a 1/8" chain on your beach cruiser. Your 3/32" chain could be too narrow to work with your cruiser when lubes get stiff in cold weather.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    It's 8 speed. 3/32 is supposed to work with 6, 7 and 8 speed.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    It's 8 speed. 3/32 is supposed to work with 6, 7 and 8 speed.
    Ah, I didn't even know there were 8-speed derailleur-equipped beach cruisers. Shows you how old I am.

I agree with those who suggest a thinner lube. Maybe the relatively thick Chain-L doesn't play well with the zinc coating of your chain. And really, as good as you seem to be with bike maintenance and choice of lube, there's no need for a "rust-proof" chain. Those things are mostly pitched to people who never heard of lubing a chain and leave their bikes outside.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Ah, I didn't even know there were 8-speed derailleur-equipped beach cruisers. Shows you how old I am.
    It's not common but there are handful of cruisers with such derailleurs. I picked it because the torque transfer is more efficient than internal gear which I used to have.