Continuous Squeal while Coasting.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016

I just finished a new bike build and everything is working perfectly until on a trial run to bed the brakes the bike develops a very loud squeal when I am freewheeling. Video with sound

https://youtu.be/K5rNkr8NGK8

The disc brakes are no rubbing, they also make a different sound when they do rub.

I tried tightening the thru axles but that did not affect the sound.

I am running Reynolds Areo 65 wheels with industry 9 hubs.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    It definitely does sound like brake rub, but why only when freewheeling?? I'm sure CX will suss it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Your hub needs grease.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Brake pads may have been set too close to brake rotor. It's possible that when you pedal, the frame flexes slightly vs when you coast so the different position of pad / rotor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like brake squeal to me also.
    I used to adjust disc calipers by having them loose, squeezing the brake lever, then tightening the caliper while holding the brake lever and one time that resulted in a constant squeal like yours although it was on a mt bike. Nowadays I start by having equal gaps between the rotor and each brake pad, tighten the caliper, then squeeze the brake lever and look for rotor deflection. I aim for no noticeable deflection but sometimes, for some reason (sticky brake piston?), that means the gap on one side may have to be larger than the other but this has worked for me for a few years now. Good luck and I'm sure CX will have good advice.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Sounds like brakes but it's pretty loud when you coast and goes away as soon as you pedal. That makes me think it has something to do w/ the freehub/hubshell interface. Pull the cassette and freehub off and check for proper lubrication would be my advice. Are the wheels new? Could be a bad bearing in the freehub...it doesn't need to spin while pedaling but has to spin when coasting.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Sounds like brakes but it's pretty loud when you coast and goes away as soon as you pedal. That makes me think it has something to do w/ the freehub/hubshell interface. Pull the cassette and freehub off and check for proper lubrication would be my advice. Are the wheels new? Could be a bad bearing in the freehub...it doesn't need to spin while pedaling but has to spin when coasting.
    Any chance it's a MAVIC wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Any chance it's a MAVIC wheel?
    That would be too easy. OP says I9 in the OP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Finally figured it out. It turned out to be the rear rotor rubbing the pad. It took a lot of brake caliper exercising and lubricating to get them to retract enough after the brake is released.

What threw me off was that the sound was completely different to the rubbing sound brakes have usually made in the past.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebastianorozco View Post
    Finally figured it out. It turned out to be the rear rotor rubbing the pad. It took a lot of brake caliper exercising and lubricating to get them to retract enough after the brake is released.

What threw me off was that the sound was completely different to the rubbing sound brakes have usually made in the past.

Believe it or not, my front rotor is doing this, but only after hard braking after a descent. What exactly did you do to remedy it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Believe it or not, my front rotor is doing this, but only after hard braking after a descent. What exactly did you do to remedy it?
    The rotor was rubbing the pad when my weight was static on the frame (coasting). The calipers I used were purchased separately so they were not part of a pre bled system so they were dry. I applied the brake fluid (dot in my case for SRAM) to the cylinder and just pushed it in and out about 20 times each cylinder and it fixed the problem. I figure it had to be rubbing at just the right pressure to make that squealing noise.

Last edited by jsebastianorozco; 2 Days Ago at 06:32 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The rotor was rubbing the caliper when my weight was static on the frame (coasting). The calipers I used were purchased separately so they were not part of a pre bled system so they were dry. I applied the brake fluid (dot in my case for SRAM) to the cylinder and just pushed it in and out about 20 times each cylinder and it fixed the problem. I figure it had to be rubbing at just the right pressure to make that squealing noise.

Hmmmm, not sure if that will work in my case then, brakes feel like they are set up properly so I don't think it is a bleed system issue. I was curious about where you said you lubricated. I thought that meant you lubed the pistons themselves possibly to get them to return faster. Is that the case?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Hmmmm, not sure if that will work in my case then, brakes feel like they are set up properly so I don't think it is a bleed system issue. I was curious about where you said you lubricated. I thought that meant you lubed the pistons themselves possibly to get them to return faster. Is that the case?
    That is exactly what I did. See video below:

https://youtu.be/hGMcsi08CcA

The rotor was rubbing the caliper when my weight was static on the frame (coasting). The calipers I used were purchased separately so they were not part of a pre bled system so they were dry. I applied the brake fluid (dot in my case for SRAM) to the cylinder and just pushed it in and out about 20 times each cylinder and it fixed the problem. I figure it had to be rubbing at just the right pressure to make that squealing noise.

If the rotor was hitting the caliper your adjustment was wayyyyyyyy off. You should always adjust the caliper so the rotor is dead center then make the pistons do what they should be doing. The video is what you do. Always use whatever the brake fluid for your system for lubrication.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    If the rotor was hitting the caliper your adjustment was wayyyyyyyy off. You should always adjust the caliper so the rotor is dead center then make the pistons do what they should be doing. The video is what you do. Always use whatever the brake fluid for your system for lubrication.
    When I said rubbing the caliper I meant the brake pad. Sorry for the confusion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is exactly what I did. See video below:

https://youtu.be/hGMcsi08CcA

Sweet, thank you so much!!!