• 06-26-2008
    pretender
    Converting a rear wheel from 10-speed Campag to 9-speed Shimano?
    Can it be done without getting a whole new hub?
  • 06-26-2008
    MR_GRUMPY
    More info
    Campy prebuilt wheel?
    Campy hub(model) and rim?
    8 speed, 9/10 speed?
    ?
  • 06-26-2008
    pretender
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    More info

The wheels are 2006 Bontrager XXX Race Lite carbon tubulars, currently set up for 10-speed Campag. Seller says "can easily be switched to accommodate Shimano", I'll pursue this further with seller, but also want to get a reality check from others if possible.

I've seen that you can buy a spacer kit to convert a 9-speed Campag cassette to 9-speed Shimano spacing, but ideally I'd like not to have to buy a new cassette.
  • 06-26-2008
    MR_GRUMPY
    Yes.....easily done. You need a Shimano type freehub body plus some minor parts. Best done by a "competent" bike shop.
    Let them order all the needed parts.
  • 06-26-2008
    shinsplints
    I don't know if this helps but I bought a set of 2005 Campy Eurus wheels set up for Campy that my LBS put together a 9-sp Shimano-spaced cassette for me (not Shimano-made mind you). I think they basically rigged up spacers to make it fit. But they did say that I probably won't be able to move to 10-sp so I've been thinking about whether to sell these wheels and get a set that will allow me to upgrade. I love these wheels though so it's a tough decision.
  • 06-26-2008
    pretender
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    Yes.....easily done. You need a Shimano type freehub body plus some minor parts. Best done by a "competent" bike shop.
    Let them order all the needed parts.

Thank you! I'll phone my LBS and get a quote.
  • 06-27-2008
    Richard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pretender
    Thank you! I'll phone my LBS and get a quote.

I hope your LBS is a Trek dealer. Those Bontrager wheels have a DT Swiss hub and Trek stocks the freehub bodies in Shimano and Campy. The tricky part is getting the right one as there were some running changes with the Bontrager wheels.
  • 06-27-2008
    Al1943
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard
    I hope your LBS is a Trek dealer. Those Bontrager wheels have a DT Swiss hub and Trek stocks the freehub bodies in Shimano and Campy. The tricky part is getting the right one as there were some running changes with the Bontrager wheels.

+1
    You'll need the serial number from the hub.
  • 06-27-2008
    bigbill
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shinsplints
    I don't know if this helps but I bought a set of 2005 Campy Eurus wheels set up for Campy that my LBS put together a 9-sp Shimano-spaced cassette for me (not Shimano-made mind you). I think they basically rigged up spacers to make it fit. But they did say that I probably won't be able to move to 10-sp so I've been thinking about whether to sell these wheels and get a set that will allow me to upgrade. I love these wheels though so it's a tough decision.

Campy sells a shimaNo freehub for their factory wheels. It is ten speed only so you can and will have to switch. It is an easy swap.