converting from Shimano 9 to Campy 10... crank?
    Done with winter.

converting from Shimano 9 to Campy 10... crank?

I've had my new bike for a few months now and put quite a few miles on it but I'm starting to miss having a Campy drivetrain, just something to do with the feel of the shifters. Following LFR's post in the Campy Cassette thread on the General board I started investigating using a conversion cassette.

One question though, do you have to change the crank and front derailleur to campy or will the Shimano stuff up front (105 triple) still work with Campy Ergo?

Jan 2004

Campy/ Shimano

Quote Originally Posted by asterisk
    I've had my new bike for a few months now and put quite a few miles on it but I'm starting to miss having a Campy drivetrain, just something to do with the feel of the shifters. Following LFR's post in the Campy Cassette thread on the General board I started investigating using a conversion cassette.

One question though, do you have to change the crank and front derailleur to campy or will the Shimano stuff up front (105 triple) still work with Campy Ergo?
    Shimano stuff up front will work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

maybe...

There won't be a problem with regard to the chainring spacing, but the front drailleur may not work well. I have two bikes with FSA 53/39/30 triple cranks and Campy 10 drivetrain. I once purchased a DuraAce triple front derailleur just for the heck of it and never could get it to work very well, so I sold it on E-bay. The shimano FD design is a lot different than Campy's, with a couple of large bumps in the side of the cage. If it doesn't shift well, just get a low priced Centaur or Veloce front derailleur and you'll be in business.