Converting Shimano 9 speed triple crankset to 1X
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Converting Shimano 9 speed triple crankset to 1X

Before 1X drive train was the norm in MTB, we used to take the big and small ring off a triple crankset, leaving middle ring and installing bash guard where big was. This way you could still use existing BB and crank arms and good chain line.

Setup in question is Dura Ace octolink triple crankset with threaded BB-7700 and 9 speed cassette. Bike is road bike. Goal is to be able to use crank arms and remove big and small rings so middle is my 1X. Would like to get 50T for the gear ratios I need. Donít need bash guard for this road bike

Anyone do something like this? The BB-7700 doesnít have the best rep so I have no issue changing that if it would be better to get different crank set. Looking for suggestions or tips that would make this work.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Not an answer to your question but the BB7703 triple bottom bracket you have is a sealed bearing model and has a sterling reputation, unlike the double BB which requires regular maintenance.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Not an answer to your question but the BB7703 triple bottom bracket you have is a sealed bearing model and has a sterling reputation, unlike the double BB which requires regular maintenance.
    Good to hear Dave. I've googled BB7700 to get exact measurements and maybe some more info but reviews of this BB ranged from very problematic to stellar with about a 50/50 split. 5 star by some and 1 star for others, not many neutral. Kinda unusual for Dura Ace and I would prefer not to switch out BB if possible.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    As Dave posted the 7703 is a cartridge bottom bracket and will hold up just fine. The 7700 is the double bb, not the triple. It has 2 sets of caged balls and 2 sets of caged needle bearings and is adjustable for preload. You were lucky w/ the 7700 if the seals kept sunlight out much less water. You don't have to worry about that as you have the much more durable 7703.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Good to hear Dave. I've googled BB7700 to get exact measurements and maybe some more info but reviews of this BB ranged from very problematic to stellar with about a 50/50 split. 5 star by some and 1 star for others, not many neutral. Kinda unusual for Dura Ace and I would prefer not to switch out BB if possible.
    If you have a triple, you DONíT have a BB7700. Thatís for doubles. It has a spindle length of 109.5mm.If your bottom bracket is in fact a Dura Ace, itís a BB7703 which is a sealed bearing system, with a spindle length of 118mm. An excellent, long-lived BB.

Cxwrench explains the internal differences above
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    As Dave posted the 7703 is a cartridge bottom bracket and will hold up just fine. The 7700 is the double bb, not the triple. It has 2 sets of caged balls and 2 sets of caged needle bearings and is adjustable for preload. You were lucky w/ the 7700 if the seals kept sunlight out much less water. You don't have to worry about that as you have the much more durable 7703.
    This is great news!

So, any advice on the 1X conversion? Iím in coastal east Florida where it is flatter than the proverbial Pancake. My only elevation change involves bridges with 2% grade and most riding is within 6-7 gears depending on wind so triple chain ring drive train is over kill and I got 4 other bikes in my quiver that have 2-3 chain rings.

My goal is simplicity and reduced mechanical issues and 1X is the solution for this. Triple to 1X in my MTB experience has been easy but using middle ring without bash guard - probably need something to take up space or do I? I hope to get this project done, somebody has already done this Iím sure, feedback please!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    If you have a triple, you DONíT have a BB7700. Thatís for doubles. It has a spindle length of 109.5mm.If your bottom bracket is in fact a Dura Ace, itís a BB7703 which is a sealed bearing system, with a spindle length of 118mm. An excellent, long-lived BB.

Cxwrench explains the internal differences above
    Gotcha!

Googling Dura Ace 9 speed BB is different than googling Dura Ace 9 speed triple BB.

Thanks guys!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    My goal is simplicity and reduced mechanical issues and 1X is the solution for this. Triple to 1X in my MTB experience has been easy but using middle ring without bash guard - probably need something to take up space or do I? I hope to get this project done, somebody has already done this Iím sure, feedback please!
    1X on a mt. bike makes some sense, especially when you need the range but can't always time a shift to the granny, then back to the middle or large, back to the granny, etc.... That's about it. Double and triple shift systems didn't all suddenly start to suck, except if you are using a SRAM mt. bike system, if anything and with newer Shimano mechanical and Di2 systems, front shifting is better than it has ever been. Di2 Synchro Shift makes it even painless.

Thus for a road bike, I can somewhat understand if you live in really hilly country with a lot of quick and steep rollers, where you are not doing one tooth gear changes. But even there, a double 34/50 with an 11-32 usually works for most folks.

But you are in Florida ?. I would think you'd want gearing like what I use on Long Island, which is likewise flat for the most part and where one tooth jumps on gears gets you good cadence for the occasional roll over a highway bridge and is really useful for headwinds.

So not getting this desire for 1X on road bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Steve, I have several bikes in my quiver so the 1X is just an option on one bike, just for an experience, a different feel and basically a project that gives me another chance to work on a bike. The single chain ring and removal of front derailleur/cable might clean up the ride and be a fun project - or maybe not, but Iím gonna try it.

Some of the advances in MTB have become road standards and 1X might be the next. Who knows but itís worth a try. Like I said for most of my riding on flat terrain, I rarely use more than 5-6 gears so 1X9 with a 49-52T up front would be plenty. I remember a couple years ago when most rbr forum members ridiculed disc brakes and thru axle for road use! Multiple bikes with different components/frame materials are fun to ride and great addition to your bike quiver imo.

tjc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I did a 1x9 from a triple on my MTB, had to swap the chainring for a narrow/wide to keep chain from dropping (used middle position). Not sure if road would have the same problem, might depend on the rear mech's ability to take up any slack.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    This is great news!

So, any advice on the 1X conversion? Iím in coastal east Florida where it is flatter than the proverbial Pancake. My only elevation change involves bridges with 2% grade and most riding is within 6-7 gears depending on wind so triple chain ring drive train is over kill and I got 4 other bikes in my quiver that have 2-3 chain rings.

Single speed chainring bolts. That's about it. It will work just fine.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Single speed chainring bolts. That's about it. It will work just fine.
    Thanks!

With this triple I think the small and middle rings are bolted to each other and the middle and big ring are bolted to the crank arm.

Existing big ring is 53 and that would work but 50 might be better range. With single speed bolts can I just use the existing 53T, just put it in middle position instead of its current outboard position? Seems like the middle ring position would give best chain line. Most single speed cranksets Iíve seen online have bash guard type of ring for the outboard position and Iím not opposed to using that if necessary.

Narrow wide is my standard MTB for 1X but for this project the terrain is flat butter smooth asphalt with nothing off road. This part of coastal Florida is very flat and bike lanes are wide smooth and no pot holes or road seams. Chain drop is least of my concerns.