Cracked Paint or Cracked Carbon on a Front Fork?? Pics included, need help...
    RoadBikeReview Member

Cracked Paint or Cracked Carbon on a Front Fork?? Pics included, need help...

I got this frame built up with Campy Record and Chorus bits that I have already pirated. I am wondering if the front fork is safe to ride or if it needs to be pitched.

Thanks...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tyler, you are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met.

Arrogant roadie.....
    If that's on the trailing side of the fork, I'd be scarping the paint off before I rode it....
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Diesel Engine

trailing edge

It is on the trailing edge, you can see the recess for the brake bolt above it. You can scrape off some paint to check, but my gut says it's the beginning of a crack.

You're posting it here, you'll always have it on your mind when you ride - I'd get a new fork.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

just paint..

I'd guess that this fork has an aluminum crown, or at least a separate crown and the cracks are merely in the paint. If they don't go all the way around the fork, I'd just keep an eye on them. Under braking, this is the side under compression, so at least the area is being forced together, rather than pulled apart.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    I'd guess that this fork has an aluminum crown, or at least a separate crown and the cracks are merely in the paint. If they don't go all the way around the fork, I'd just keep an eye on them. Under braking, this is the side under compression, so at least the area is being forced together, rather than pulled apart.
    There is a small hairline crack on the front side as well...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by handsomerob; 01-24-2007 at 05:40 PM.
    Tyler, you are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met.

Ken
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Trash it and get a new fork.

gazing from the shadows
    Why take the risk? If that fork lets loose, VERY bad things will happen to you. Are you looking for another photo op? Yes, you could take the paint off and look, but a new basic fork can be had a lot cheaper than your hospital bills.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Omg!

OMG! You had to ask whether to ride that thing? You wouldn't be able to call yourself HandsomeRob for long. Destroy it so someone else doesn't find that cursed thing and try to use it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avalonracing
    OMG! You had to ask whether to ride that thing? You wouldn't be able to call yourself HandsomeRob for long. Destroy it so someone else doesn't find that cursed thing and try to use it.
    truthfully, I wouldn't and didn't ride it as is. I planned to sell the frameset and I didn't know whether to list the fork as questionable or worthless... I was leaning towards the worthless to begin with but I didn't want to make that assumption without a little help.

Thanks everyone.

p.s. after my spill a couple months ago, I don't fit the moniker quite as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's a glued together fork, the crack line is where the crown and legs come together (as C40 stated). No real issue I'd say but it should be watched closely. The crown extends down into the legs - that's where the strength of the joint comes from, not at the top butt joint.
    Last edited by Nessism; 01-26-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Frog Whisperer
    maybe you could get it x-rayed...to see if it is the aluminum crown....cause if'n it ain't...there may well be more x-rays involved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomerob
    truthfully, I wouldn't and didn't ride it as is. I planned to sell the frameset and I didn't know whether to list the fork as questionable or worthless... I was leaning towards the worthless to begin with but I didn't want to make that assumption without a little help.

Thanks everyone.

p.s. after my spill a couple months ago, I don't fit the moniker quite as well.
    I wouldn't pass the fork along to anyone. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Now that this thread has been posted it isn't like you could declare that you didn't know. You may want to contact the manufacturer maybe they'll do you a solid just to keep that thing out of circulation.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Bag it.....

not worth the risk.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.