cracked rim at eyelet, options?
    Does it matter?

cracked rim at eyelet, options?

Cracked rim at the eyelet here. I wouldnít have noticed it if I hadnít heard a thumping sound that I attributed to spokes/nipples needed lubing Rode it for some time before getting around to lubing things up. Same sound remained after all the lubing and further inspection revealed the crack. The wheel is true, but Iím not going to continue riding it like this. It looks like the crack will propagate at some point. Any options on fixing or salvaging this, maybe for a trainer use wheel, if nothing else? The crack is on the rear drive side of a mavic cosmos ( I think the rim is the same as the Open Pro)
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ouch! I see what looks like a crack starting to the left of the nipple too. You might get away with using the wheel on a trainer but I think you will hear the noise there too. The only option I would think of is to save the hub if it is good enough. I think you have just made a contribution to a landfill.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I agree. Start looking for a new rim. That crack is going to nothing but get bigger. Sorry to tell you this, but that rim is toast.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Banned forever.....or not
    Time for a new rim. pretty soon the spoke will start pulling out, and loose tension. The spoke can be tightened, but will just pull out more.
    You can rebuild it yourself with a 28 hole open pro (if you've built wheels before), but I recomend either having a shop do it, or have the shop send it back to mavic for them to do it.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Moderatus Puisne
    That's all she wrote.

An open pro + build shouldn't set you back more than 100 bucks.

Scuzzo
    Jul 2006
    it will not get any better and chances are more cracks will be just around the bend. its time to replace it.
    Never stop a ride to polish your freaking bike
    its about the LEGS, LUNGS and the HEART
    and its not the bikes weight thats the problem!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

out of curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by Mersault
    Cracked rim at the eyelet here. I wouldnít have noticed it if I hadnít heard a thumping sound that I attributed to spokes/nipples needed lubing Rode it for some time before getting around to lubing things up. Same sound remained after all the lubing and further inspection revealed the crack. The wheel is true, but Iím not going to continue riding it like this. It looks like the crack will propagate at some point. Any options on fixing or salvaging this, maybe for a trainer use wheel, if nothing else? The crack is on the rear drive side of a mavic cosmos ( I think the rim is the same as the Open Pro)
    how many miles on these wheels? What is your weight? I've trashed 2 Open Pro's in the manner. Neither made it beyond 7K miles

Does it matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG
    how many miles on these wheels? What is your weight? I've trashed 2 Open Pro's in the manner. Neither made it beyond 7K miles
    those wheels have between 15K-20K miles, not sure since I have a couple of wheelsets. but that's a good estimate. I weight 180lbs give or take 10 lbs depending on the number of miles I ride and the amount of Cheetos I eat :-). Those wheels have been good. I have two sets of those cosmos. I broke a spoke on each of the fronts at one point. Finding the straight pull replacement spokes was a hassle, but I was able to. So I'm not going to rebuild this wheel, not worth it, especially if I need to get the mavic spokes. I think Wheelsmith makes some straight pull that would work, though. I see slightly used cosmos wheelssets going for around $100 on ebay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Rims don't last forever....

15-20K is about what I get out of a rear rim. My front rim on my current ride has 29K.
    I can get an Open Pro rebuild for around $70.00.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

sounds like you get your money's worth

15-20K miles sounds pretty good to me. I'd be happy with that