Crank brothers pedals for road racing
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015

Crank brothers pedals for road racing

Been awhile since I've posted here. Contrary to my user name, I now race again on the road. I have ridden and raced on Speedplay pedals for years, but have started to vastly prefer my Eggbeaters on my gravel bike in terms of simplicity and the secure float (instead of the "floating on ice" feeling).

My main question is, anyone here race on the road on Crank Brothers pedals? I am thinking of getting some of the cleats that were compatible with the Quattros for my road shoes and then ride Candy pedals as they do have a better platform than Eggbeaters. They may not be so great for really tight cornering, but otherwise I don't see any drawbacks. Thanks for input!

[REDACTED]
    While others may have had different experience with Eggbeaters, I had a spring shear at only 2000 miles rendering it impossible to clip in. I'll never touch Crank Brothers pedals again.

I'm back to good old reliable Shimano.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    , I had a spring shear at only 2000 miles rendering it impossible to clip in.

Stuff like that aside OP I think you're better off deciding for yourself.
    Personally I feel it's too easy to unclip with any MTN bike pedals I've used to want to use them road racing. Good chance that's in my head but they do not feel secure enough to want to use them in an all out sprint. That ease of unclipping is exactly why I like they for off road (along with better walkability of course).

But if you've successfully been able to put the though test or road racing demands (super hard sprints) and feel fine with that there is no reason to not use them for that.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    The platform makes no difference. As in your shoe won't touch it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    ...they do not feel secure enough to want to use them in an all out sprint. That ease of unclipping is exactly why I like they for off road.
    ^^^^I would stay away from them for this specific reason. I've pulled out of eggbeaters with only marginal cleat wear multiple times. No way I would try to throw down a big road sprint on them.
    There I was...

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipped_in View Post
    ^^^^I would stay away from them for this specific reason. I've pulled out of eggbeaters with only marginal cleat wear multiple times. No way I would try to throw down a big road sprint on them.
    You didn't 'pull' out, they get tighter as you pull on them. You probably slipped out in some direction but pulling directly wouldn't do it. Back when i worked for Kodak/Sierra Nevada they used them...no one ever pulled out.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards