Crank length question

Apr 2004

Crank length question

Hello, my first post here at this forum.

I currently have Surly Cross-check, which I mostly use for commuting. Actually, never tried cyclocross (although would like to check it out this summer). I've mostly mt biked in the past. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a new road bike here may be sometime soon, and just started thinking about the type of components I want to get. Since I haven't had a "real" road bike, I'm not sure about certain components - one being crank length. My Surly has 172.5 ultegra cranks, which feels good to me but want to try something shorter. Is there any advantage of going shorter (170) or perhaps even longer (175)? Is this mostly a personal preference, or is there a real good reason why some people prefer one length for one condition/bike vs another? TIA and look forward to learning a lot more about road bikes through this forum in the future.

Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by MaD-X
    Hello, my first post here at this forum.

I currently have Surly Cross-check, which I mostly use for commuting. Actually, never tried cyclocross (although would like to check it out this summer). I've mostly mt biked in the past. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a new road bike here may be sometime soon, and just started thinking about the type of components I want to get. Since I haven't had a "real" road bike, I'm not sure about certain components - one being crank length. My Surly has 172.5 ultegra cranks, which feels good to me but want to try something shorter. Is there any advantage of going shorter (170) or perhaps even longer (175)? Is this mostly a personal preference, or is there a real good reason why some people prefer one length for one condition/bike vs another? TIA and look forward to learning a lot more about road bikes through this forum in the future.
    With shorter cranks, you can pedal through corners and have more clearance between the pedal and the road.
    If you know that you prefer to "spin" easier gears at fast rpm's, shorter cranks are an advantage.
    If you do a lot of mountain climbing, longer cranks will give you more leverage.
    Remember to raise or lower your seatpost to accomodate the change in crank length. Shorter crank means raise your seatpost. Longer cranks means lower your seatpost.