Crank options on a Specialized SL3
    RoadBikeReview Member

Crank options on a Specialized SL3

Hi

I've been contemplating building up an SL3 and was wondering about what options I have with non Specialized cranks. I think Spec. use a propriotary BB with their own carbon crank?. It's not the industry standard BB30. Can anyone give me a quick lesson what other cranks I can use .ie...Rotor and what I would have to do to get them to fit and work.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
    I prefer hills over flats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The module comes with their BB30-like crank set up. Specialized does have adapters, but there's not point buying the module if you don't want the Specialized crankset.

The frameset has a standard threaded BB shell, so it will accommodate any standard crank you choose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_John
    The module comes with their BB30-like crank set up. Specialized does have adapters, but there's not point buying the module if you don't want the Specialized crankset.

The frameset has a standard threaded BB shell, so it will accommodate any standard crank you choose.
    Thanks! So when I order the frame do I have to order the adapter if I am not going to use their crank set?
    I prefer hills over flats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    yes and/or order the frame with a standard BB interface ( I belive you can do this) it's a standard 68mm road shell. I would decide on the crank before ordering the frame, that way you know what BB you want, some cranks come both ways i.e Sram red is either standard GXP or BB30.

banned
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_John

John,
    I'm not sure this is correct on the sl3. I don't think you can get that frame with a standard bb. Let me know if I'm wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo
    John,
    I'm not sure this is correct on the sl3. I don't think you can get that frame with a standard bb. Let me know if I'm wrong.
    The SL3 Module is the BB30 version. It comes w/ the S-Works crank.

The SL3 Frameset is the model with a standard English threaded BB.

(from the website: S-Works Tarmac SL3 FACT 11r, FACT IS construction, compact race design, 1.5" lower HS bearing, threaded BB shell)

Either way....it's a killer bike. Rode a version /w Di2 @ the East Coast Demo in Providence and it was amazing. I'd buy one if I had room in the garage.