Crank Power Meter opinions for Ultegra 8000 Di2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014

Crank Power Meter opinions for Ultegra 8000 Di2

Looking to add a Quarq DUB crank power meter to my new bike. I would like to get some feedback from RBR here before making the decision on which to get.

The 2 that I am considering are the DFour and DZero - essentially the Shimano or Sram versions of the current Quarq PM.

I have read that you can use 3rd party cranks and rings with Di2. But how much of a difference will it make compared to staying with Shimano chainrings? Initially it will be cheaper to get the DFour and use the rings that came with the stock cranks (Ultegra R8000). However over time those rings are almost double the cost to replace if I wear them out or decide to change sizing. Which is one reason I'm considering the DZero with Sram rings.

If I go with the DZero what rings would offer the best shifting/compatibility with Ultegra 8000 Di2? Red? Force?

Do you know of anything gotchas I may have missed (besides needing a new DUB BB)? Also the bike is a Pinarello Prince Disk with Italian BB (68mm wide if I recall correctly).

Thanks in advance...

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    If it's Italian thread it's definitely NOT 68mm, it's 70mm.

You could always not let your chainrings get too worn by replacing your chain in a timely fashion. If you went DZero Force rings would be fine.
    #promechaniclife

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tinball View Post
    Looking to add a Quarq DUB crank power meter to my new bike. I would like to get some feedback from RBR here before making the decision on which to get.

The 2 that I am considering are the DFour and DZero - essentially the Shimano or Sram versions of the current Quarq PM.

I have read that you can use 3rd party cranks and rings with Di2. But how much of a difference will it make compared to staying with Shimano chainrings? Initially it will be cheaper to get the DFour and use the rings that came with the stock cranks (Ultegra R8000). However over time those rings are almost double the cost to replace if I wear them out or decide to change sizing. Which is one reason I'm considering the DZero with Sram rings.

If I go with the DZero what rings would offer the best shifting/compatibility with Ultegra 8000 Di2? Red? Force?

Do you know of anything gotchas I may have missed (besides needing a new DUB BB)? Also the bike is a Pinarello Prince Disk with Italian BB (68mm wide if I recall correctly).

Thanks in advance...
    Ultegra cranks have to have the most options out there, like Stages Gen 3, 4iii and plenty of others. I just went through this and added a Stages Gen 3, as I like the company, service and the Stages phone app they use.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    My bad - didn't double check myself on the measurements prior to the quick post.

Very true about the chain. I was mainly thinking if I was going to change ring size but also covering all the possibilities. I've been considering moving to mid-compact to gain a bit more top-end speed (but that's a whole other contentious topic). The Shimano cost penalty is a bit higher. So one of the things I was wondering if that penalty was worth it compared to going with the DZero and Sram rings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Ultegra cranks have to have the most options out there, like Stages Gen 3, 4iii and plenty of others. I just went through this and added a Stages Gen 3, as I like the company, service and the Stages phone app they use.

I've been very happy with the Quarq Riken on my old bike and am familiar the Quarq PM's which is one reason I have been leaning towards them. Also, while this may have changed, the Stages have had some issues in the past as well as the 4ii. This may have improved with the newest generations. The Quarq are known for being solid reliable and accurate dual sided PMs. Plus I would get carbon crank arms for the same relative cost as the respective Stages or 4ii dual sided meters (per DC Rainmaker's site) and only one battery to deal with.

Still I will definitely look at them both again before pulling the trigger. Thanks for the suggestions.