Creaky saddle

Thread: Creaky saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

Creaky saddle

I have a Montrose Bontrager elite saddle and it is constantly creaking between the rails and the saddle interface I have tried using three and one lube and injecting it between saddle and rail; that did not work. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lube to get rid of the creak?
    For the Trek Store associates, do you think Trek will stand behind their creaky product if I cannot eliminate the Creak? I have been creakin’ for a year😀.
    thanks in advance,
    RC

RoadBikeReview Member
    you might want to remove the saddle, clean the rails/clamp, and apply some fresh lube. not sure I'd use the 3-in-1 oil tho. stuff seems to get gross and gummy over time.

also, are you sure it's the saddle? I just spent a lot of effort tracking down a creak that was finally traced to the seat post. a wipe down and a little dab of Phil's green grease fixed it right up.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadCube View Post
    I have a Montrose Bontrager elite saddle and it is constantly creaking between the rails and the saddle interface I have tried using three and one lube and injecting it between saddle and rail; that did not work. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lube to get rid of the creak?
    For the Trek Store associates, do you think Trek will stand behind their creaky product if I cannot eliminate the Creak? I have been creakin’ for a year.
    thanks in advance,
    RC
    I had a saddle creaking like this and it turned out I just didn’t have the bolts tight enough. Looking up the torque spec I was surprised to find that it as *really* high, MUCH higher than almost all the other bolts on my bike besides the BB (and maybe the thru axles).

I had tried to fix it with grease, but got nowhere because there was still some very slight movement between the saddle rails and the clamp. Torqued to the proper (and very high) spec, and the creak went away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Yes,
    I removed Montrose saddle from the seatpost and flexed the saddle while holding the rails in my hand. The Montrose saddle creaked from where the rails entered saddle bottom.

RC

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Yes,
    I removed Montrose saddle from the seatpost and flexed the saddle while holding the rails in my hand. The Montrose saddle creaked from where the rails entered saddle bottom.

RC
    Something is defective. There is a warranty on these saddles so you should visit or write Trek. The dealership that sold that saddle should/as well handle your complaint.

That is an assembly error.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Take it to the Trek dealer BEFORE you try to fix it yourself. If you modify it and it doesn't fix the problem, THEN take it back, the mods may be visible and render the saddle warranty void.

If Trek refuses to warranty the saddle, THEN monkey with it. Take the saddle off and place vertically, and try flowing some Loctite 242 (the blue, breakable bond stuff) or some of the stronger Loctite products into the gap. Let it set up per directions before doing the same to the other end of the saddle. Then reinstall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    For the Trek Store associates, do you think Trek will stand behind their creaky product if I cannot eliminate the Creak? I have been creakin’ for a year.
    I've had this issue on a few saddles over the years and it is always fixed by getting some lube down the rails and into the saddle body. I would suggest thinning the lube in some odorless mineral spirits so that it will penetrate down the rails and to leave the saddle "vertical" for a few days in each direction. Once the OMS evaporates the lube left on the rails should eliminate the noise.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'd just take it back to the shop where you bought it and see what they can do for you. Sometimes creaks come from places you don't think they're coming from . Worse comes to worse, buy a new/better saddle. They aren't that expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I tried thin 3 and 1 oil to get lube “down the rails” but I did not let it soak-in by going “vertical”. I will try that Kerry. What type of lube should I thin with mineral spirits?
    If that does not work, I will talk to Trek.
    Thanks for the response!
    RC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    What type of lube should I thin with mineral spirits?
    Any petroleum-based or synthetic lube.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    So you've had it for a year and it's been making noise the whole time? And you're just now trying to get it taken care of? All Bontrager product has a no questions asked 30 day warranty...if you don't like the color or the way it smells you can bring it back. Waiting for a year? C'mon...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Something is defective. There is a warranty on these saddles so you should visit or write Trek. The dealership that sold that saddle should/as well handle your complaint.

That is an assembly error.
    According to the OP the saddle has been used for at least a year and you're absolutely sure it's defective...even though you've never seen it.

Ok.

Sweet Potato Kugel

Lubed and Ready for Action

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    According to the OP the saddle has been used for at least a year and you're absolutely sure it's defective...even though you've never seen it.

Ok.
    I've seen creak to catastrophic failure.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I've seen creak to catastrophic failure.

What's your point? That's a seatpost fastener failure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    What's your point? That's a seatpost fastener failure.
    I would say it can lead to a catastrophic mishap like this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    The saddle has creaked/squeaked since I purchased it. I had not ridden with anyone in a while and I was the only one who had to listen to it. But since I am riding with a group now, I am sure they are getting tired of the noise.
    This is NOT a cheap saddle and
    I just wanted to get fix it advice and in a worse case scenario, an opinion on taking it back.
    I have been a good customer with LBS for a long time.
    By the way, has any one else had their LBS converted to a Trek Store?
    RC

The saddle has creaked/squeaked since I purchased it. I had not ridden with anyone in a while and I was the only one who had to listen to it. But since I am riding with a group now, I am sure they are getting tired of the noise.
    This is NOT a cheap saddle and
    I just wanted to get fix it advice and in a worse case scenario, an opinion on taking it back.
    I have been a good customer with LBS for a long time.
    By the way, has any one else had their LBS converted to a Trek Store?
    RC
    I will never understand people like you. You buy something and it immediately has an issue but you don't take it back, you just continue to ride it. Why not go back to the shop right away and see what they can do? Trek/Bontrager have an amazing no-fault return policy.

And yes, Trek has ended up owning a bunch of what used to be LBSs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Like I said, I have been a LOYAL customer to my LBS for years. Due to some circumstances, I did not ask for replacement in a timely fashion.

Trek started pricing Trek brand items on-line at better prices then my LBS.
    Trek buying stores was only a matter of time. But wow the Domane looks nice.

Like I said, I have been a LOYAL customer to my LBS for years. Due to some circumstances, I did not ask for replacement in a timely fashion.

Trek started pricing Trek brand items on-line at better prices then my LBS.
    Trek buying stores was only a matter of time. But wow the Domane looks nice.
    It's pretty nice. We have a couple on the floor. Not sure what I think of the tool-kit-in-the-downtube but I guess it'll work. I hate saddlebags so it seem like it's a good thing.

[REDACTED]
    I will never understand people like you. You buy something and it immediately has an issue but you don't take it back, you just continue to ride it. Why not go back to the shop right away and see what they can do?
    Because it's easier to just complain to a bunch of random people on the internet.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Because it's easier to just complain to a bunch of random people on the internet.
    U are reading into this post. As I stated before, I have been a LOYAL customer at a Trek LBS for years and I cannot begin to start how the shop with Trek has supported and even inspired me to ride.
    I did not say any bad words against Trek but stated a fact that their saddle creaked/squeaked where the rails go into the saddle. I just asked for fix-it help (thank you KI; the saddle is in the vertical position with lube) and an opinion from someone behind a shop's desk.

U are reading into this post. As I stated before, I have been a LOYAL customer at a Trek LBS for years and I cannot begin to start how the shop with Trek has supported and even inspired me to ride.
    I did not say any bad words against Trek but stated a fact that their saddle creaked/squeaked where the rails go into the saddle. I just asked for fix-it help (thank you KI; the saddle is in the vertical position with lube) and an opinion from someone behind a shop's desk.
    You should have brought it back to the shop as soon as it started making noise. I didn't say it before but my shop it Trek owned. I just can't understand why you'd let it go for a year then ask for advice about how to fix it, or what to do.

[REDACTED]
    Kerry Irons is most probably spot on.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm neither here to defend nor to bash Trek. CX and I just wonder why you waited a year before addressing the problem. That's all. Yes, I know, we could have said it in a nicer way.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Sweet Potato Kugel
    ... I just asked for fix-it help (thank you KI; the saddle is in the vertical position with lube) and an opinion from someone behind a shop's desk.
    I had a saddle rail issue and a carbon fibre seat post. I bought the Parker torque wrenches for the saddle and seat post clamp bolt. Loads of creaking. Used the proper graphite lube thinking it was the seat post ...and what have you. The bolt gave out but not before a seat rail, ...luckily coasting, foot down in city traffic. I was riding 10 months a year and many times in rain. Understood maybe a conglomeration of events that collide.

If that fix doesn't work from KI, PM me. I'll buy you a new seat and send it to you.

Because. You have to enjoy this sport.

Best of luck.