Crown race Goldilocks...
    What the what???

Crown race Goldilocks...

Trek 420 fork.

Two crown races. One is 27.0 and goes on with no effort. One is 26.4 and I canít get it to seat with grease, a length of PVC and a sledge hammer.

Do I keep trying to force the 26.4 or try dimpling the fork to make the 27.0 tight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Don't dimple the fork.

Can you measure the crown race with a vernier caliper?

Does the 27.0 fit with slop, or is it a slip fit?

What the what???
    Just a tiny bit of play with just the race. I donít have a digital caliper but I do have an analog one. The fork measures just under 27. 26.8 or 9. So the smaller race (which is supposed to be 26.4 but measures closer to 26.2 is a no-go). Itís the 27.0 (which measures 27) or nothing.

I decided to try putting the rest of the headset together using the 27.0 race. When I load the bearings and tighten everything up there is no play, though. But can I assume that with everything loaded itís the bearings that are turning and not the race?

1 inch threaded Origin8 headset with sealed bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:16 AM.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    You can use Loctite to secure the crown race to the steerer, if the gap isn't too large. I think it's the Green Loctite, although I forget which number.

Is the fork new? sounds like it wasn't machined. Personally, I'd take it to a bike shop and have them cut the fork crown race for 26.4 as it's a more common size. 27.0 was used on Campy headsets, I believe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

I like Peter P's plan on getting it cut to 26.4.

Question...

Did you mask the crown race seat on the fork when you painted the fork? Are you measuring a bare crown race seat or a painted one? It could be a proper 26.4 with paint built up to 27.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another question, what was the dimension of the headset crown race that was original to the fork?
    Too old to ride plastic

What the what???

Crown race Goldilocks...

Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    https://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

I like Peter P's plan on getting it cut to 26.4.

Question...

Did you mask the crown race seat on the fork when you painted the fork? Are you measuring a bare crown race seat or a painted one? It could be a proper 26.4 with paint built up to 27.
    Yep. I masked the crown when I painted. Iím measuring bare metal. The fork is from 1983, Peter P. I think it was a year when Trek farmed their frames out to an Asian manufacturer.

Good call about the race that was on it. Iíll have to see how if I still have it. I know in taking it off it took some leverage. It wasnít loose.

I may try the loctite fix, but I donít think I mess with having it machined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    If you want to secure that 27.0 to the crown race, use Loctite 660. It's a liquid retaining compound that fills gaps up to 0.5mm. Comes in a very small tube.

I would apply the 660 then immediately assemble the fork to the frame, as a guide to center the fork crown race within the lower cup. That's key to good headset operation and long bearing life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Trek 420 fork.

Two crown races. One is 27.0 and goes on with no effort. One is 26.4 and I canít get it to seat with grease, a length of PVC and a sledge hammer.

Do I keep trying to force the 26.4 or try dimpling the fork to make the 27.0 tight?
    Back in the day many bike shops had a crown race seat tool so you could chase the crown race seat to the right size. It sounds like this is what you need to do. Find a shop that has the proper tool.