CX's examples of how not to take care of your bike... - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    My guess is this case was the result of some corporate policy on how spec requirements should be written: use positive phrasing, avoid negative phrasing.

It likely stems from the fact that "no" and "not" are often missed by readers.
    It was probably just a poor translation from Chinese.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I think this is it. /thread. You can't **** a bike up more than this guy did. I refused to do a tune up on it because I thought it would ruin our new parts washer.

I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Wow. What's the story behind that bike, CX? You have to manually clean the gunk off?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2019
    As a biking newbie I learned about over lubriction in this thread, I am slightly guilty but happy to say I never got close to that last one. Surprised that rear shifted at all!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I think this is it. /thread. You can't **** a bike up more than this guy did. I refused to do a tune up on it
    Wait.... someone brought "that" in for a tune up? As if they couldn't figure out why it wasn't working right?

Looks like old 7sp stuff? Given your shop hourly rate to clean that thing, it'd be cheaper to just buy new components. Maybe even a whole new bike.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    New line item on the shop $ board:
    Bike Cleaning @ the CAR WASH: $50.00

But the car wash would have to be close, as I ain't putting that in/on any of my vehicles!
    BANNED

[REDACTED]
    New parts washer? I wouldn't put that bike anywhere near that. And he just asked for a tune-up? I think I would have explained to him that before a tune up could happen, there would be a special cleaning charge. Take it outside and soak it with some strong solvents.

If you won't touch it, I'm sure some shop will - for a nice fee of course.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Wow. What's the story behind that bike, CX? You have to manually clean the gunk off?
    I told him we wouldn't work on it. It's ooolllldd...cantilever brakes and a RS Indy fork that looked like it didn't actually have any elastomer bumpers in it. Obviously the whole drivetrain was beyond worn out despite his claim that the 'chain was pretty new'. I told him that it would cost at least double what the bike was worth to make it rideable. No way I was gonna go anywhere near it, bikes like this are going to be a huge pain as well as probably ruin whatever clothes and shoes you're wearing. Not worth it.
    Last edited by cxwrench; 04-30-2019 at 01:22 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I told him we wouldn't work on it. It's ooolllldd...cantilever brakes and a RS Indy fork that looked like it didn't actually have any elastomer bumpers in it. Obviously the whole drivetrain was beyond worn out despite his claim that the 'chain was pretty new'. I told him that it would cost at least double what the bike was worth to make it rideable. No way I was gonna go anywhere near it, bikes like this are going to be a huge pain as well as probably ruin whatever clothes and shoes you're wearing. Not worth it.
    The owner needs to take a high pressure washer to it so he can take a good look at it before tossing it in the recycle bin.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    before tossing it in the recycle bin.
    If I could find new rings for it, I would LOVE to have that STX-RC crank for my 94 Cannondale M600 townie. That's what it had when it was new.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I used to volunteer at a place that took bikes like that, and fixed them up for sale or giveaways to needy people. I've seen worse, AND made it work, albeit mostly with used parts.

But seriously, homeless people take better care of their bikes than THAT guy!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

a real member's member
    I refused to do a tune up on it because I thought it would ruin our new parts washer.
    good for you.

that's ridiculous anyone would bring his bike to a shop in that condition or even half as bad. i'd tell the guy to **** right off.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    But seriously, homeless people take better care of their bikes than THAT guy!
    How many homeless people own bikes and if they do, have the resources to clean a bike?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    cxwrench, maybe that person had bone to pick with you and brought that in as F U? Emoticon-Think.gif

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    How many homeless people own bikes and if they do, have the resources to clean a bike?
    Haven't you seen one of those tent cities?

mag.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    cxwrench, maybe that person had bone to pick with you and brought that in as F U? Emoticon-Think.gif
    Really?
    Last edited by cxwrench; 05-02-2019 at 01:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Really?
    CX, please, you gotta uncheck those chain lube multi quotes.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Exactly. That's why I keep telling people... forget the homebrew, forget all those fancy new chain lubes. Get ProLink, the one and only Best Chain Lube. ProLink... It's got what chains crave.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Exactly. That's why I keep telling people... forget the homebrew, forget all those fancy new chain lubes. Get ProLink, the one and only Best Chain Lube. ProLink... It's got what chains crave.
    AAAAARGH!!!
    Too old to ride plastic

gazing from the shadows
    I was just thinking the other day that there should be things like this showing up in this thread, given late spring and trails opening.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    that's ridiculous anyone would bring his bike to a shop in that condition or even half as bad. i'd tell the guy to **** right off.
    I'd tell him what cx told him, not worth doing, cost being more than the bike was worth. No need to anger someone who is clearly just an idiot.

But this really looks like a case of someone who rode until the bike stopped working, then took it in to be fixed. And by that I mean the owner literally would do that for any reason, and never did preventative maintenance. There are people like that. "It won't X anymore, so time to take it in."

If that's the situation, the actually amazing thing is just how bad it could get before it stopped working.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Sorry, I hate that about this forum. It's the only one I've ever seen that does that. I'll try to remember!
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Oh Jesus...just stop.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Sorry, I hate that about this forum. It's the only one I've ever seen that does that. I'll try to remember!

Oh Jesus...just stop.
    How did you get an old post of mine stuck in a bunch of your posts?

[REDACTED]
    What do you do that causes that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    What do you do that causes that?
    If I quote a post, then at some point later in the thread I quote another post the forum automatically includes every post I've quoted in the thread. Before I posted this quote I had to delete the quotes from Spike and someone else...they were above your quote. I've never seen this happen on any other forum and it happens on my work desktop as well as my MacBook at home.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    If I quote a post, then at some point later in the thread I quote another post the forum automatically includes every post I've quoted in the thread. Before I posted this quote I had to delete the quotes from Spike and someone else...they were above your quote. I've never seen this happen on any other forum and it happens on my work desktop as well as my MacBook at home.
    Mac? There's your problem right there, lady.

For a while, I just thought you super-agreed with my opinion about ProLink, the Friction Mutilator, and wanted to share it all the time with all of your fans on RBR.

I began to think of myself as an Influencer, in the dumbly RBR social media context of that word.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast