CX's examples of how not to take care of your bike... - Page 13
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 111213
Results 301 to 312 of 312
  1. #301
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch16 View Post
    What maintenance is required on the Domane Iso Speed? Should it be taken apart occasionally?
    Unless you want it to look like the one in the above photo, yes it should.

  2. #302
    Slowski
    Reputation: eboos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    He's pretty sure the noise is coming from his cassette. I'm pretty sure it's not. All that rust came from the 2 bearings, the bolts and bushing are aluminum.



    Wow, I had 16 year old neglected headset bearings that look much better.

  3. #303
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,600
    You know how people always say "Damn triathletes"? There are so many good reasons, here's a couple:

    Saddle bag installation should be part of the standard IQ test...at least the strap is kinda right this time.



    She said her tape had been like this for "just a couple months"...

    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  4. #304
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,444
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You know how people always say "Damn triathletes"? There are so many good reasons, here's a couple:

    Saddle bag installation should be part of the standard IQ test...at least the strap is kinda right this time.



    She said her tape had been like this for "just a couple months"...

    Needs a few more HS spacers...and scotch tape?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  5. #305
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Needs a few more HS spacers...and scotch tape?
    Yes. Assembly lines use a type of scotch tape to secure the cables to the stem before wrapping the bars.

    Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

    I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

  6. #306
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,600
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Yes. Assembly lines use a type of scotch tape to secure the cables to the stem before wrapping the bars.

    Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I guess it's cheaper. I hate that scotch tape...and cheap electrical tape.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  7. #307
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    40,444
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Yeah, I guess it's cheaper. I hate that scotch tape...and cheap electrical tape.
    Good thing a mechanic never touches my bike, I use nylon filament packing tape to secure my cables before wrapping. I also clean all the residue off with mineral spirits before replacing it. The pictures you have been posting amaze me. For the most part, you could touch any part of my bike without having to wipe your hands off with the exception of the chain when it needs to be swapped out for the clean one after 800 miles or so. (then they get cleaned in spirits in an ultrasonic, oiled and wrapped in newspaper to get the excess off until they go back on the bike) I guess I might be a little ocd about keeping my bikes clean. As a result, I pretty much never have problems on the road! Some of the really crusty ones you post, make me wonder how much they get ridden.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

  8. #308
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,623
    These latest posts renewed my disdain for tri-dooshes so much, I refused to wave back at em on my ride yesterday.

    I'm a bad emmer-effer when I get riled up.

  9. #309
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,600
    Not neglect but a good reason to not buy a kids bike at a toy store. Both shots are the same crank arm.





    Guy bought the bike in the box. Couldn't figure out why the left pedal wouldn't thread in to the crank. No name crank so we couldn't warranty it, no problem we'll order a new one, they're cheap. New crank came in, ended up using a pickle fork to remove this stupid thing.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  10. #310
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    484
    That's a first for me. Lookslikebikes.

  11. #311
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    11,977
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    What oil are you using? I think I'm gonna mix some up and give it a go.
    I use it almost exclusively. 4 parts odorless mineral spirits & one part oil. It doesn't matter what motor oil is used. We're not lubing Formula 1 cars or top fuel dragsters. Any motor oil is going to be just fine for about 500 miles or so.

    I start by wiping down the chain with a WD40 soaked rag. Next I use a Park cog brush while running the chain in both directions. This cleans off anything that's stuck between the rollers. Wipe down again with a dry rag. Lastly I apply homebrew liberally with a small paint brush. When I can, I like to leave it overnight to be sure the mineral spirits have evaporated. Wipe the chain down thoroughly with a dry rag & you're good to go. These directions are lon, but the whole process takes maybe 5 min.

    To give credit where it's due I copied this recipe from Kerry Irons posts.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

  12. #312
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    40,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    I use it almost exclusively. 4 parts odorless mineral spirits & one part oil. It doesn't matter what motor oil is used. We're not lubing Formula 1 cars or top fuel dragsters. Any motor oil is going to be just fine for about 500 miles or so.

    I start by wiping down the chain with a WD40 soaked rag. Next I use a Park cog brush while running the chain in both directions. This cleans off anything that's stuck between the rollers. Wipe down again with a dry rag. Lastly I apply homebrew liberally with a small paint brush. When I can, I like to leave it overnight to be sure the mineral spirits have evaporated. Wipe the chain down thoroughly with a dry rag & you're good to go. These directions are lon, but the whole process takes maybe 5 min.

    To give credit where it's due I copied this recipe from Kerry Irons posts.
    same formula I use, except I had a couple of quarts of mobile1 10W20 so that's kind of a lifetime supply. I tried chainsaw-chain lube for a while but it was gummy, stringy stuff and picked up everything, then I switched to vegetable based for the saw since I am essentially spraying all over my property and I'd rather not pollute. I got about 12,000 miles with 2 chains and a cassette so it must work ok
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 111213

Similar Threads

  1. Is it a scam? check here for typical examples.
    By Coolhand in forum Classifieds Feedback - Scam Warnings
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-16-2018, 08:43 AM
  2. 10 examples of brilliant shadow art
    By Henry Porter in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 08:05 PM
  3. Replies: 126
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
  4. Some examples of short-reach handlebars?
    By dawgcatching in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 12:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.