Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Another good reason to wash your bike...it's easier to see where your frame is broken. Guy had no idea this had happened, he was just bringing it in for a tune up.

I am assuming this was a mountain bike. How the heck was his shifting not effed up?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I am assuming this was a mountain bike. How the heck was his shifting not effed up?
    ^^^
    This... and more.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Why do people want to convert others to their chain lube regiment? Its like chain lube Jehovah Witnesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Exactly. That's why I keep telling people... forget the homebrew, forget all those fancy new chain lubes. Get ProLink, the one and only Best Chain Lube. ProLink... It's got what chains crave.
    Full length housing at the rear. Front shifting was messed up, that's why he wanted a tune up.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another good reason to wash your bike...it's easier to see where your frame is broken. Guy had no idea this had happened, he was just bringing it in for a tune up.

This is barely recognizable as a bicycle.
    Too old to ride plastic

Holy crap...give me a weekend off and I completely forget about this. Let me see what I can come up with for today...

First...when you finish a big ride and lean your bike up against the passenger side of your car...then get in the driver's seat so you can make a quick phone call...don't forget your bike and pull away. You'll do something like this, luckily he didn't break the frame/fork/wheels/bars/shifters/saddle etc.

Second...when you're paying me to build your dream Colnago w/ parts you sourced on the internet all by yourself don't be surprised when they don't fit. First time this guy had 2 normal Campy caliper brakes, obviously he needed an under-the-stays rear brake. Second time he brought in a Shimano brake, which hit the crank arm. Now I've got the right one ordered.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Holy crap...give me a weekend off and I completely forget about this. Let me see what I can come up with for today...

First...when you finish a big ride and lean your bike up against the passenger side of your car...then get in the driver's seat so you can make a quick phone call...don't forget your bike and pull away. You'll do something like this, luckily he didn't break the frame/fork/wheels/bars/shifters/saddle etc.

Second...when you're paying me to build your dream Colnago w/ parts you sourced on the internet all by yourself don't be surprised when they don't fit. First time this guy had 2 normal Campy caliper brakes, obviously he needed an under-the-stays rear brake. Second time he brought in a Shimano brake, which hit the crank arm. Now I've got the right one ordered.

He is extremely lucky! I know someone who took the front wheel off his bike to put it in the back of his car, then got distracted and never put the front wheel in the car. I think you can guess what happened next!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

He is extremely lucky! I know someone who took the front wheel off his bike to put it in the back of his car, then got distracted and never put the front wheel in the car. I think you can guess what happened next!
    The other mechanic on the first time I ever worked for ran over a week old Litespeed that a racer had stupidly put against the front bumper of the team van. It happens for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    This is Great!!! More pictures of bike tools on a dirty bench, or, neatly put away.
    I don't care.

No, its not some weird thing. I just LOVE bike benches and tool boxes.

Like this:

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    The other mechanic on the first time I ever worked for ran over a week old Litespeed that a racer had stupidly put against the front bumper of the team van. It happens for sure.
    I ran over my own Klein Adroit.
    I was still drunk from the night before.
    Amazingly, I still rode that bike for two years...

Neophyte
    Pretty much this thread rules but I am unable to rep.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Like this:

I spy with my little eye, an Abbey Tools HAG. My favourite tool!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goodboyr View Post
    I spy with my little eye, an Abbey Tools HAG. My favourite tool!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Me too! A couple years ago we were in Bend for Cascade and went by the shop a couple times to see Jason. I spent $$$, every penny worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Me too! A couple years ago we were in Bend for Cascade and went by the shop a couple times to see Jason. I spent $$$, every penny worth it.
    Awesome tool, very solid looking. Beats the old Park we abused at the shop, but its one tool I'd have to sponge off the LBS to use. Sooner or later, after a truing stand and centering gauge, this is an essential tool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Nice
    Like this:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like this:

How do you keep your work site this neat and still fix bikes?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    ... and also find time to share your customer nightmares with RBRers, and also yell at RBR n00bs about putting things in the proper subforum?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Keeping a workspace clean and neat means you can find stuff quicker, and get the job finished sooner...which results in more time to spend pwning n00bs on teh intarnetz! Everything about cxwrench's operation is designed to maximize internet time
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Keeping a workspace clean and neat means you can find stuff quicker, and get the job finished sooner...which results in more time to spend pwning n00bs on teh intarnetz! Everything about cxwrench's operation is designed to maximize internet time
    Including a PC right on his workbench!
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like this:

okay now I get the anal retentive thread policing, nice shop.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    okay now I get the anal retentive thread policing, nice shop.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kiwisimon again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    But haven't you heard the saying "A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind"?

Seruously, I'm just envious that I can't be this neat and organized.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Why do people want to convert others to their chain lube regiment? Its like chain lube Jehovah Witnesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Exactly. That's why I keep telling people... forget the homebrew, forget all those fancy new chain lubes. Get ProLink, the one and only Best Chain Lube. ProLink... It's got what chains crave.
    But haven't you heard the saying "A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind"?

Seruously, I'm just envious that I can't be this neat and organized.
    It's usually only that clean first thing in the morning and at the end of the day. I try to reorganize a little between jobs, it doesn't always happen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice work area! I have trays that hold misc parts that are "still useful". The thought that at some point those parts can be used. That tray grows and is emptied into a jar, can, bucket... After 20+ years has grown substantially. The funny part is that memory knows it is there for an inventory call. Last week I didn't bother to look through it and put that bucket into the trash. It was relieving and now I'll start again. ;)

If you're a triathlete, or if you know any triathletes...please, tell them to pay more attention to their equipment. I work on dozens of bikes that belong to 'competitive' (not sure what that means to them) multi sport athletes and only one of them gets proper care and maintenance.
    Most of them seem to train indoors because we all know there aren't enough hours in the day to train for 3 sports outdoors, work, and have a life. This means they sweat on their bikes more than if they were outside. Most seem completely oblivious to the concept of 'corrosion', even after we've told them many times. The following photos were taken just a few months after the last service I did on this bike. The brake cables were so corroded the lever wouldn't return and I had to spray the rear wedge w/ PB Blaster more than once before putting it in the soft jaws to yank the cable out w/ pliers. The bars were wiped down w/ WD after the last cleaning, same corrosion is back.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast