Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    I work on some friends bikes. Doesnt matter how many times I try ...............................the bike always returns with the same bad habits in place.
    start charging real rates not mates rates, and charge them for cleaning time. That might get them the message.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    I work on some friends bike on the side as a shade tree mechanic and my OCD goes crazy every time I deal with their bikes. Doesnt matter how many times I try to drill things into their heads the bike always returns with the same bad habits in place.
    I think I would get "really busy" very quickly.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow CX, it's been over a month since you posted an example here. I guess the rainy season is there in NoCal now and people aren't bringing bikes in much?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Neophyte
    Or, after being stuck not riding because of the forest fire smoke, as soon as the air was clear but it started pouring everybody rode in the rain and he's been stuck cleaning and fixing CX and gravel bikes for the last month...

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Wow CX, it's been over a month since you posted an example here. I guess the rainy season is there in NoCal now and people aren't bringing bikes in much?
    A variety of things, but now that it's slowing down a bit, here's something. Don't drag your brakes down big hills w/ carbon clinchers. Still a thing I guess.

This is the normal width of the rear rim in the middle of the brake track...

And this is how far it blew out...

Don't drag your brakes folks. Especially the rear, it doesn't really slow you down at all and just wrecks ****.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    My last MonsterCross ride I stopped 1/2 the way through to tighten my front disks up (mech), and the pads were GONE! That DA mechanic! ....me!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    1) I don't drag my brakes.

2) I don't use carbon rims.

Win-win!

RoadBikeReview Member
    1) I don't drag my brakes.

2) I don't use carbon rims.

Win-win!
    Race tires, carbon rims! Disc brakes! Stop that bike on a dime! Whoops!

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Don't drag your brakes folks.
    Since I don't have a tandem with a drag brake, I don't.

Some people consider what controls do (shift and brake), some consider HOW they do them (friction, forcing a chain into metal from the side). I'm guessing your customer will move from the first group to the second, at least for brakes.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Why do people want to convert others to their chain lube regiment? Its like chain lube Jehovah Witnesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Exactly. That's why I keep telling people... forget the homebrew, forget all those fancy new chain lubes. Get ProLink, the one and only Best Chain Lube. ProLink... It's got what chains crave.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Since I don't have a tandem with a drag brake, I don't.

Some people consider what controls do (shift and brake), some consider HOW they do them (friction, forcing a chain into metal from the side). I'm guessing your customer will move from the first group to the second, at least for brakes.
    Exactly!

Here's one for you mountain bike guys w/ old Reverbs. Don't strap your saddle bag to the upper part of the post then wonder why it won't work anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't get this one at first. Then I realized it's a dropper seatpost.

If you have $pendy carbon parts I implore you to get and use a torque wrench. Pretty much always gonna be less expensive than ruining a $600.00 carbon bar/stem.

Rub it............
    That would have been a bad crash had that bar failed.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Man'splain to me how a torque wrench would not cause a failure in that handbar bend?
    BANNED

[
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Man'splain to me how a torque wrench would not cause a failure in that handbar bend?
    This was on a brand new bike out of the box. Trek's new boxes nearly eliminate shipping damage of the normal type. Obviously if you run over the box w/ a forklift the bike is toast, but normal dropping/banging around won't do much to a bike if it's in one of these, and there was no damage to the outside of the box. That leaves over-tightening the clamp. In this case the levers were low on the drops but over-tightened is over-tightened.
    Last edited by cxwrench; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:55 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you have $pendy carbon parts I implore you to get and use a torque wrench. Pretty much always gonna be less expensive than ruining a $600.00 carbon bar/stem.

Maybe he was watching one of those You Tube videos where some hamfisted mechanic was leaning on bolts so hard, the bike stand would almost fall.

It's no secret that I'm a SRAM guy. Since the very beginning of their road line I've worked on it and used it personally. But...for the last couple years their crank bolts have a nasty habit of galling in the aluminum 29 and 30mm axles making it super hard to remove them. Just had one in a new Trek Top Fuel 9.9 w/ XX1 Dub cranks so stuck out of the box that this happened...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yea, and were u using your torque wrench? hu uh?
    Put some anti oxidation compound on those bolts when you put them back on.
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Yea, and were u using your torque wrench? hu uh?
    Put some anti oxidation compound on those bolts when you put them back on.
    That was tring to get the crank OFF, and I didn't install it. Prep: Use caution tape when performing dangerous jobs.

Always use new, sharp tools.

Progress...

And done.

Last edited by cxwrench; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:18 PM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Jeebus. You had to destroy a crank...right out of the box?? WTF? This is your second Trek boxing flaw in what--a month?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Jeebus. You had to destroy a crank...right out of the box?? WTF? This is your second Trek boxing flaw in what--a month?
    Yeah, but this is more SRAM's problem than Trek's. I spoke to one of their CS reps earlier and they know about the problem. They've come up w/ a new bolt or maybe they're just putting anti-seize on them instead of thread locker. I'm fairly sure that Trek's builders are using torque wrenches, I've seen them build bikes. I've had many problems in the past w/ the alloy bolts galling in alloy axles so it's nothing new. SRAM will replace the crank so it's not a big deal. I'll buy a stronger 8mm bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, but this is more SRAM's problem than Trek's. I spoke to one of their CS reps earlier and they know about the problem. They've come up w/ a new bolt or maybe they're just putting anti-seize on them instead of thread locker. I'm fairly sure that Trek's builders are using torque wrenches, I've seen them build bikes. I've had many problems in the past w/ the alloy bolts galling in alloy axles so it's nothing new. SRAM will replace the crank so it's not a big deal. I'll buy a stronger 8mm bit.
    I'm a bit confused, but why would using anti-seize be a problem?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm a bit confused, but why would using anti-seize be a problem?
    I think that he's saying that they may be using anti-seize instead of thread locker now.
    Too old to ride plastic

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Why do people want to convert others to their chain lube regiment? Its like chain lube Jehovah Witnesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Exactly. That's why I keep telling people... forget the homebrew, forget all those fancy new chain lubes. Get ProLink, the one and only Best Chain Lube. ProLink... It's got what chains crave.
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I think that he's saying that they may be using anti-seize instead of thread locker now.
    ^This^ They have been using thread locker and have switched to some typed of anti-seize coating. We'll see how it works.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast