DA 7900 with Quarq S975 Crankset
    Off to the Pain Cave...
    May 2012

DA 7900 with Quarq S975 Crankset

I have a Madone with full Dura-Ace 7900. I also have an older Madone 5.2 with Force that I ride as well. The shifting on the DA 7900 bike is excellent as is.

I am looking to start training with power, and thought about going the Powertap G3 route, but I have 2 sets of wheels that I swap around on the two different bikes. So, I started thinking about going the crank route, and leaving one bike crankless at all times. That way I can just swap the crank back and forth. I am not worried about the bike with Force, as the Quarq S975 has Red chainrings and should retain the shifting quality. However, I am a bit worried about the DA bike. Will the S975 with Red Chainrings play nice with DA 7900? Or is the spacing on the 7900 cranks different and will cause issues with SRAM chainrings?

I really want to train with power, but PT seems to be out of the question and I do not want to mess up the shifting on the DA bike. I have a feeling it could be tuned to shift pretty well, but I am just curious how big of a compromise it will be.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    no compromise at all w/ regards to spacing. the D/A chainrings are slightly stiffer than Red chainrings, but they will still shift just fine. especially w/ a D/A front derailleur.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Off to the Pain Cave...
    May 2012
    Thanks for the reply. I had thought the DA rings were a bit stiffer. Last I had read they were some of the best there is as far as stiffness to weight ratio. Good to know that there is no compromise. There is an option to add the DA rings on the Quarq, but only for 53/39. I went with the 50/34.