Deda Deep (Belg) vs Shallow (Ital) Handlebars
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Deda Deep (Belg) vs Shallow (Ital) Handlebars

Does anyone know any advantages/ cons over using the Deep (Belgium style) vs the Shallow (Italian classic) handlebar? The drop and reach are bigger on the Belgium sytle vs much less on the Italian classic. Both are non-anatomic bars. Does the difference in drop and reach have to do with height of the rider, personal preference, or anything else? Thanks.

Diesel Engine

Hand size?

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli
    Does anyone know any advantages/ cons over using the Deep (Belgium style) vs the Shallow (Italian classic) handlebar? The drop and reach are bigger on the Belgium sytle vs much less on the Italian classic. Both are non-anatomic bars. Does the difference in drop and reach have to do with height of the rider, personal preference, or anything else? Thanks.
    Makes sense that the size of the riders' hands is a big factor, at least with drop. Shallow drops seem better for those with small hands, while big hands have more room on the deeper drops.

Reach would work more in concert with stem length to get the fit just right. I have often heard of folks needing a new stem when they got new bars because their effective reach was changed by the bar.

In the end, like saddles, it's personal preference. Once you find something you like, you'll tend to stick with it.

What do I know though? Just goofing off at work...

BS the DC
    I don't think there are any real pros or cons other than what fits you better. A deep drop would allow you to ... well, drop deeper for better aerodynamics. A shallow drop would ... you guessed it ... drop shallower. I would imagine that taller people, typically having a greater saddle to bar drop, might do well with a deep drop bar. Shorter people who generally have less saddle to bar drop would probably do better with a shallow drop.
    "The team wasn't just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor."

- Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts

Every little counts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli
    Depends on your current position, and where you want to go with it. If you have alot of drop already, and are having flexibility issues, you may prefer shallow. On another bike, you may have a higher HT and less drop, therefore may enjoy the deeps to get into an aero position.

Me: Shallow Deda 215 on RR bike, 3TTT Merckx Servicio Course(Deep Belgian) on my cross bike. Different frames, but the saddle-drops drop is very nearly the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    also, the type of riding determines the bar type. I have one bike set up with deda 215 shallow bars, and they are great for road races and training rides. however, they are not ideal for crit racing. when you are in the drops, you hold the flat portion of the bar, and your hands are far from the brakes and shift lever, two important items in crit racing.