Cooper1960
    Oct 2010

Derailleur handle larger gear?

I have a 2008 Campy Chorus ten speed, the rear cassette has a 28T large cog and I am wondering if I can go up to a 30T or maybe even a 32T.
    How can I tell if I can go to a bigger gear with my current derailleur?
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper1960 View Post
    I have a 2008 Campy Chorus ten speed, the rear cassette has a 28T large cog and I am wondering if I can go up to a 30T or maybe even a 32T.
    Google is an amazing thing. That said it will work w/ up to a 29 tooth cog. Since the rear derailleur has to have the capacity to do 2 things: shift to a certain size big cog, AND wrap the chain needed to go big/big. You might get the derailleur to shift to a bigger cog than 29 but it won't wrap the chain needed, so depending on how you size your chain you're likely to rip the rear derailleur off the bike if you shift into big/big/.
    Last edited by cxwrench; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:43 PM.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    Thank you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Google is an amazing thing. That said it will work w/ up to a 29 tooth cog. Since the rear derailleur has to have the capacity to do 2 things: shift to a certain size big cog, AND wrap the chain needed to go big/big. You might get the derailleur to shift to a bigger cog than 29 but it won't wrap the chain needed, so depending on how you size your chain you're likely to rip the rear derailleur off the bike if you shift into big/big/.
    Or size the chain so it droops in the small small and "don't go there" which you shouldn't do anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper1960 View Post
    I could get my Campagnolo Record 2009 11sp double rear derailleurs up to 32T.
    Also, new Veloce 10 sp derailleur works up to 32T.
    Derailleur will not be limiting issue, length of your hanger will. If your hanger is not long enough you can find hanger extension on eBay for few bucks...it will solve all your problems.
    Don't be afraid about cage length, short cage is enough for 53-39 cranks to work with 12-32 cassette perfectly on road bike.
    I have large 61cm frame, with smaller frames and shorter chainstays you might have to (probably not) leave your chain a bit longer so that 39/11 or 12 (first cog) won't be usable, but you shouldn't be there anyway.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...