derailleur hanger alignment Gauges... are they worth the investment? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frog Whisperer
    xxxxxxxx
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    So I decided to pull the trigger and purchase the "CycloSpirit Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge" it should be here Wednesday.

I will follow-up once I receive and use it... as a result of this weekends riding, I noticed my shifting is a little wonky at the moment. The derailleur is smooth when shifting from the 11th cog through the 14th, and starts to get a little clicking sound from 15, 17, 19 & 21. then 23, 25 & 28 appear to be fine, not sure if this a result of bent derailleur or not

CX; I like your setup and appreciate your input, but I can't justify the spend.
    If it's a bent hanger (bent in from falling on derailleur) it will get worse as you shift to bigger cogs...it won't ever get better, only worse. It turns into a geometry problem cuz it's a triangle now instead of 2 parallel lines. The cogs and the pulley cage should be parallel...the cage being vertical when looking at the bike from behind, not angling in towards the spokes.
    #promechaniclife

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    This is the one I was taught to use back in the 70s. The old mechanics at the bike shop called it the "Campy kickstand".

https://www.ebay.com/c/1737212941

It worked fine in the pre-indexed shifting days.

The one I use at the shop these days is made by Efficient Velo Tools of Portland (I am not one of the mechanics, but will often correct a misaligned derailleur so as to not add to the mechanics' workload):

https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/...alignment-tool
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    This is the one I was taught to use back in the 70s. The old mechanics at the bike shop called it the "Campy kickstand".

https://www.ebay.com/c/1737212941

It worked fine in the pre-indexed shifting days.

The one I use at the shop these days is made by Efficient Velo Tools of Portland (I am not one of the mechanics, but will often correct a misaligned derailleur so as to not add to the mechanics' workload):

https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/...alignment-tool
    I've used the Campy tool a bunch, it's a classic. The EVT is amazing like everything they make. Not sure about $500.00 amazing but it's super nice.
    #promechaniclife

Never Give Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    If it's a bent hanger (bent in from falling on derailleur) it will get worse as you shift to bigger cogs...it won't ever get better, only worse. It turns into a geometry problem cuz it's a triangle now instead of 2 parallel lines. The cogs and the pulley cage should be parallel...the cage being vertical when looking at the bike from behind, not angling in towards the spokes.

I don't have the best eye when trying to look at thing up close, and could be my eye's playing tricks. But it looks slights kilted outward and not inward.

My bike has fallen on the derailleur in the past month as my daughter was trying to move the bike and make room for her dance classes... yes my office/bike area has now become her virtual dance class room as her studio is continuing with classes and trying to stay positive for the competing seniors.. but that's a another topic/story for another time!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    I don't have the best eye when trying to look at thing up close, and could be my eye's playing tricks. But it looks slights kilted outward and not inward.

My bike has fallen on the derailleur in the past month as my daughter was trying to move the bike and make room for her dance classes... yes my office/bike area has now become her virtual dance class room as her studio is continuing with classes and trying to stay positive for the competing seniors.. but that's a another topic/story for another time!
    Bike falling on the drive side is probably most common way rear derailleurs go out of alignment. Although I once had a clueless idiot bump my derailleur with his front wheel which bent the hanger.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Never Give Up!
    So quick follow-up.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077SZBZ...t-best-20&th=1

My alignment derailleur arrive yesterday... used it this afternoon and found the derailleur was bent not only vertically but horizontally as well. Made a few tweaks in both alignments using a 3mm Allen key as guide for spacing between the edge of the rim and the end of the indicator rod. Everything at this time is shifting very smooth.

I now agree this tool is definitely one to have in the tool box
    Last edited by ROAD&DIRT; 3 Days Ago at 11:42 AM.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Let me know when you actually get it.
    Got it. 5 days
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Bike falling on the drive side is probably most common way rear derailleurs go out of alignment. Although I once had a clueless idiot bump my derailleur with his front wheel which bent the hanger.
    This sorta depends on the hangar. Some are very soft, and will bend with the slightest bump. I've even seem them twist. On the other hand, the one on my Moot's is so stiff it's uncomfortably hard to adjust. The nice thing about this is, once I got it where I wanted it, I don't think it's going anywhere.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Got it. 5 days
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    This sorta depends on the hangar. Some are very soft, and will bend with the slightest bump. I've even seem them twist. On the other hand, the one on my Moot's is so stiff it's uncomfortably hard to adjust. The nice thing about this is, once I got it where I wanted it, I don't think it's going anywhere.
    Moots.

#promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Is it worth having/using? Absolutely! It's one of the most used tools I have. EVERY new bike gets checked, every bike I double check for another mechanic gets checked, and I would guess it gets used on 50-70% of the tune ups I do. All 3 of the ones you linked to are probably garbage...the Park and the other one that looks like the Park are definitely crap. The green HAG in my box from https://www.abbeybiketools.com/products/hag is hands down the best one made. Worth every one of the considerable number of pennies you'll pay for it. Easily my favorite tool.

Abbey bike tools HAG and Crombie FTW. Worth. Every. Penny. I used the Park for years and the HAG is WAAAAAY better. "The right tool for the job" is rule #1. Most here are paying >>$3,000 for a bike (and some upwards of $10K) plus upgrades and accessories. Good tools are a cheap investment.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12