RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018

Derailleur question

I have an old Cannondale ST600 that I'm having some shifting issues with. My current derailleurs are Shimano Deore MT-60 (front) and Deore MT-60 LG (rear) and Shimano STI 600 shifters. I haven't ridden this bike all winter, so my memory is a bit faded about the precise shifting issues. Are these components generally compatible? If not, what would be the simplest/most effective part to change?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did the bike used to shift OK with these same components? When was the last time you changed your cables and housings?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    The bike has not shifted well since I got it. I took it into my LBS for a tune-up after I got it, and that is when the concern was raised about possible component incompatibility. They said they tuned it as best they could, but they weren't sure how beneficial it would be over the long haul. I'm not sure about any cable/housing replacements (none on my end, obviously).

RoadBikeReview Member
    How many speeds on this bike (front and rear)?

Deore is one of Shimano's mountain bike groupsets. While Shimano 8 and 9 speed road and mountain systems are cross compatible, I'm not sure about 6 and 7 speed.

Let's go back to cables. Do they feel rough? Is the shifting problem that of delayed shifting? Does the bike work well in some gears, but not in others?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Those parts are pretty old. I would't be surprised if the shifters aren't working correctly due to the grease getting waxy/sticky. I'm sure if the cables/housing haven't been replaced in the last year or 3 they're also part of the problem. The front derailleur you have was never very good, but should work. The shifter/rear derailleur should be compatible as fas as I remember. Most all of the 8-9-10 speed stuff is cross compatible w/ a couple of exceptions.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    3 speeds up front and 6 in rear. As I recall, it is only some gears that have issues.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by wildebeest4 View Post
    3 speeds up front and 6 in rear. As I recall, it is only some gears that have issues.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    6 in the back...are you sure? The shifters you have are 8 speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Sounds like replacing the cables would yield some benefit. I'm a newbie when it comes to these types of repairs...doable for someone bumbling about to figure it out?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    yep...here are the gear sizes: 29-25-21-18-15-13

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like replacing the cables would yield some benefit. I'm a newbie when it comes to these types of repairs...doable for someone bumbling about to figure it out?
    If you do decide to try replacing the cables, make sure you get good stainless steel cables, not galvanized cables. Galvanized cables oxidize and become rough causing friction and therefore poor shifting. If they don't say stainless steel, they're not.

yep...here are the gear sizes: 29-25-21-18-15-13
    Well, that would explain why your shifting sucks. 8 speed shifters, 6 speed freewheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Well, that would explain why your shifting sucks. 8 speed shifters, 6 speed freewheel.
    That would do it. Oh yeah!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Good to know! So, could you prioritize, perhaps, areas for me to address? Start with shifters? Replace the cassette?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good to know! So, could you prioritize, perhaps, areas for me to address? Start with shifters? Replace the cassette?
    If your rear shifter is 8-speed, you need to have the same number of rear gears, period.

Are the rear gears a cassette or freewheel? If it's a freewheel, you may need a new rear hub/wheel to fit it with an 8-speed cassette. This is probably the best option.

I'd start w/ a new bike.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Cassette? More likely a freewheel. 8 speed shifters will NOT work with 6 speed gearing, since they have different spacing. 7 speed is pretty close, and will usually work, BUT I don't know of any good 7-speed freewheels. Since your frame has 126mm spacing and aluminum, you are stuck with nothing greater than 7-speed stuff. find yourself either a 7-speed cassette rear wheel, or build from NOS hubs.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd start w/ a new bike.
    I'm afraid to say, this may be your most practical option. Whatever you decide to do, you will be spending some $$. As Toulouse said, your frame has 126mm rear spacing. 8, 9, 10 and 11 speed road frames have 130mm spacing. So you cannot put on a freehub that will fit.

What I'd like to know is who was the Einstein you sold this bike to you? How did he think that he could make a 6-speed work with an 8-speed shifter?