DI2 issue

Thread: DI2 issue

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

DI2 issue

I had to change my wheel from an Easton to a Fulcrum due to seal drag... I'll be working on that later.
    The Fulcrum wheel with the cassette required a Di2 adjustment, as the guy at the bike shop said it didn't need a washer under the cassette.

... so now when I shift to the big cog in back, everything works fine, the RD moves over, the chain shifts, the pulley is lined up perfectly on the cassette.... then 3 seconds or so later, Di2 decides to trim or something and moves the pulley back towards the little cogs about 1/3 the way to the next cog, but enough to make the chain jump back into the next smaller cog without any buttons being pushed.

Can I just reset the whole thing or what do I do?
    It's an original Di2, don't know the #, first series I believe.
    BANNED

Rub it............
    Have you performed the RD adjustment procedure from scratch? Due to the difference in hubs, that is probably what you will have to do.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I had to change my wheel from an Easton to a Fulcrum due to seal drag... I'll be working on that later.
    The Fulcrum wheel with the cassette required a Di2 adjustment, as the guy at the bike shop said it didn't need a washer under the cassette.

... so now when I shift to the big cog in back, everything works fine, the RD moves over, the chain shifts, the pulley is lined up perfectly on the cassette.... then 3 seconds or so later, Di2 decides to trim or something and moves the pulley back towards the little cogs about 1/3 the way to the next cog, but enough to make the chain jump back into the next smaller cog without any buttons being pushed.

Can I just reset the whole thing or what do I do?
    It's an original Di2, don't know the #, first series I believe.
    Low limit is too tight.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Your LBS messed it up. Sounds like they didn't adjust the low limit stop and just adjusted the trim.
    When the limit is set too close and the derailleur crashes into it while trying to shift, it backs itself off. Your high limit it probably off too. Which means you can over shift and jam the chain between your cassette and frame.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Your LBS messed it up. Sounds like they didn't adjust the low limit stop and just adjusted the trim.
    When the limit is set too close and the derailleur crashes into it while trying to shift, it backs itself off. Your high limit it probably off too. Which means you can over shift and jam the chain between your cassette and frame.

I'm sure this is exactly it. I have to make small adjustments to limits and re-calibrate the shifting each time I switch wheels. It is really easy and takes less than 3 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SLCpowderhound View Post
    I'm sure this is exactly it. I have to make small adjustments to limits and re-calibrate the shifting each time I switch wheels. It is really easy and takes less than 3 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Nice first post, welcome to the club

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    What u mean low? low ratio, low speed, low rpm?
    Come On, I said it was the big cog, isnt' that clearer?
    Anyway, CW with the win, I think the RD was bouncing up against the limit and giving up after 3 seconds.
    I redid high, low (or low, high... mostly high!) and the FD.
    I think it will work great next time, thks.
    BANNED

What the what???
    Yeah, "low" and "high" can get confusing with cassettes because we sometimes want to equate "low" with "small" and "high" with "big" and with cassettes it's just the opposite. Speed is the easiest equivalent. The low end of the cassette = slower speed. The high end = higher speed.

Or, think of your cassette sitting flat on a table making a little conical shaped pyramid. The big cogs are the lower slopes of the pyramid, the small cogs are higher up.

Or if you have a 4WD, think of it the way you shift into 4-Low when you want torque to climb and go mudding (bigger cogs), and you shift into 4-High when you want speed for the highway (smaller cogs).

Don't get me started on "downshifting" and "upshifting"...
    Last edited by Opus51569; 03-21-2019 at 05:39 AM.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Low/High why do we have to think? And then a year later, how was that ag'in?

THE BIG COG, now are you confused on what I'm talking about?

Down/up shifting is much more rational, you have gears 1-4 or 1-8. Down means -1, up means +1. Now that is totally simple.
    BANNED

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Low/High why do we have to think? And then a year later, how was that ag'in?

THE BIG COG, now are you confused on what I'm talking about?

Down/up shifting is much more rational, you have gears 1-4 or 1-8. Down means -1, up means +1. Now that is totally simple.
    It would be fun to see "L" and "H" on derailleurs replaced with "B" and "S"...

I'll make it easy. Just remember: "Low is slow." "High is fly."
    Last edited by Opus51569; 03-21-2019 at 05:58 AM.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Yeah, "low" and "high" can get confusing with cassettes because we sometimes want to equate "low" with "small" and "high" with "big" and with cassettes it's just the opposite. Speed is the easiest equivalent. The low end of the cassette = slower speed. The high end = higher speed.

Or, think of your cassette sitting flat on a table making a little conical shaped pyramid. The big cogs are the lower slopes of the pyramid, the small cogs are higher up.

Or if you have a 4WD, think of it the way you shift into 4-Low when you want torque to climb and go mudding (bigger cogs), and you shift into 4-High when you want speed for the highway (smaller cogs).

Don't get me started on "downshifting" and "upshifting"...
    So true. When customers come in and describe problems up or down shifting the first thing I do is ask 'to the smaller cogs or the larger cogs?'...I'd say 80% of the time they have it backwards.