Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Di2 R8060 setup and it only shifts 9 gears???

20K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  supadupa64 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got the Shimano Ultegra R8060 Di2 setup and I'm only able to shift 9 times. I have an 11 speed bike and I thought this was compatible. How can I fix this?

Also, I downloaded the E-Tube project software and the program doesn't respond when I try to connect. My computer recognizes the Di2 but it doesn't connect to the software.

This is what I have:
Ultegra Di2 FDR8050F Front Derailleur
Ultegra Di2 RDR8050SS Rear Derailleur SS
Dura-ace Di2 Bar End Shifter Switch for TT
Ultegra Di2 Shift/Brake Lever Set - Di2 Shift/Cable Actuated Brake
BT-DN110-A : Internal battery
ISMBCR2 : Internal Battery charger

#2 ·
If it's only shifting 9 times it sounds like either your high or low limit on the rear DR is not set correctly. Can you shift the front and the rear? What was the set up procedure you used? Mine shifted right out of the box with no adjustments other than the front DR, just not as well as after getting it fine tuned.

#3 ·
When I got it, I plugged it all in and it only clicks 9 times until it stops trying to shift. It just shifts the first 9 gears and doesn't get to the smallest two. At the time I hadn't adjust anything including the High and Low. It's like it's just missing two more clicks.

#5 ·
There have been many, many posts about this. In the small ring you won't be able to shift to the 11 or 12 cogs. This is to prevent cross chaining small/small. You can cross chain big/big all you want. It's a very well known situation and I'm pretty sure it's noted in the instructions. It's on pg 127 of the dealer manual for 8050 which is available to anyone at si.shimano.com

#6 ·
I'm not trying to be a jerk here...

1. I TOTALLY understand why a new bike owner would find this odd and want to know what was going on.

2. I TOTALLY understand why they would go online to try to figure it out.

But why not google first before starting a whole new thread?

EDIT: also, I'm almost certain there's no such thing as Ultegra R8060.

#9 ·
Since this thread exists, it's probably worth adding in here that you can get around that limitation (not going to the 10/11 when on the small ring) if you lie to the ETube software about your chainring sizes. I believe telling it you have a 52/36, and for sure a 53/39 it will not enforce those restrictions.

#11 ·
I'll address all the posts above.

1) Yes, I have aero bar shifters as well as handlebar shifters.

2) These shifters automatically choose the front derailleur position when switching gears. So if I clicked the one button to move the rear derailleur to the smallest gear it would only get to gear 9 out of 11 and stop at 9 and the front derailleur would move to the big gear. It's not crossing as far as I can tell since the chain is off.

3) The High and Low are not influencing the rear derailleur during this.

4) I don't have the chain on. Maybe that matters?

5) I can't change the settings of the gears because the Di2 will not connect to the e-tube project software. My computer recognizes the connection, but the software doesn't. I just downloaded it a couple days ago from the Shimano website.

6) The R8060 groupset is a thing and I'm not sure why anybody would bring that up.

#13 ·
I'll address all the posts above.

1) Yes, I have aero bar shifters as well as handlebar shifters.

2) These shifters automatically choose the front derailleur position when switching gears. So if I clicked the one button to move the rear derailleur to the smallest gear it would only get to gear 9 out of 11 and stop at 9 and the front derailleur would move to the big gear. It's not crossing as far as I can tell since the chain is off.

3) The High and Low are not influencing the rear derailleur during this.

4) I don't have the chain on. Maybe that matters?

5) I can't change the settings of the gears because the Di2 will not connect to the e-tube project software. My computer recognizes the connection, but the software doesn't. I just downloaded it a couple days ago from the Shimano website.

6) The R8060 groupset is a thing and I'm not sure why anybody would bring that up.
What? You don't need the chain on the bike to know what the derailleurs are doing. You should know where they are, you're the one doing the shifting...most of the time anyway.

#12 ·
how are you connecting to the system with E-Tube, BCR2? Did you install the driver after installing Etube software?

Having the chain on or not shouldn't make any difference

It shouldn't matter but I would try unplugging the bar end shifters and see what happens with just the brake shifters.

#14 ·
Yes, I'm using BCR2. My computer showed that it connected but the e-tube software doesn't acknowledge it. Is there a driver to download to use this?

edit: aww ic, there is a driver after the e-tube. インストール方法(Windows)|E-TUBE PROJECT|シマノ No, I didn't install this. But it looks like it's suppose to recognize it. Hmmm.

I tried just connecting and unplugging a variety of ways but no response.

#15 · (Edited)
[SOLVED]
I got the e-tube software to recognize my Di2.

I had to only connect the 5 port box when it was unplugged from the battery. If it was connected to the battery it wouldn't connect. I figured it out because there was this little picture of a wire being plugged in and out. I figured that had to mean something and it did.
Text White Line Font Colorfulness

So I disconnected everything and only connected the port box and it worked. I then reconnected all the other wires and everything was up and running.

It's still stuck in 9 gears, but I think from here I'm headed in a really good direction.

I got it to shift all 11 gears. I'm using a 52/36 but there's no option to change gear position control so I changed the crankset to a 53/39 which enabled me to use all my 11 gears.

1. select crankset: 53/39
2. select cassette: 11/25
3. Gear position control "Do not set"

Text White Line Font Colorfulness

#17 ·
[SOLVED]
I got the e-tube software to recognize my Di2.

I had to only connect the 5 port box when it was unplugged from the battery. If it was connected to the battery it wouldn't connect. I figured it out because there was this little picture of a wire being plugged in and out. I figured that had to mean something and it did.
View attachment 324331

So I disconnected everything and only connected the port box and it worked. I then reconnected all the other wires and everything was up and running.

It's still stuck in 9 gears, but I think from here I'm headed in a really good direction.

I got it to shift all 11 gears. I'm using a 52/36 but there's no option to change gear position control so I changed the crankset to a 53/39 which enabled me to use all my 11 gears.

1. select crankset: 53/39
2. select cassette: 11/25
3. Gear position control "Do not set"

View attachment 324332
That's not what that little picture means. That tells you it's either ok or not ok to disconnect from the computer.

#16 ·
Yay for progress! But you should be able to shift into 11 and 12 cog from the big ring with 52/36 chain ring selected, just not the small ring. If you go into the settings on Etube you should see this to find out which cogs are blocked in which ring combinations. See page 12 on from this help manual

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pdf/en/HM-R.3.4.1-00-EN.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.