Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    588

    Di2 Sudden Power Failure

    I was riding yesterday afternoon, and my shifters suddenly stopped responding.

    I have Ultegra 6870 Di2 with an internal battery. I was 10 miles into a ride on a hot day, and all of a sudden it simply stopped responding. Pressing the button on the Junction A box did not activate the light.

    I pulled out my seat post and found that the battery had slipped down into the seat tube. I flipped the bike over and after some shaking, got the battery back out. It was still connected to the wire. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, but there was still no response.

    Then I unplugged and replugged the wires into the rear derailleur, front derailleur, and junction-A box, and I checked the wires at the shifters. None of these made any difference.

    Eventually, I just gave up and got back on the bike, resigned to riding without shifting. After about 1 min, the shifters sprang back to life.

    I checked the battery light, and it's solid green.

    The bike rode fine for the next 14 miles. When I got home, I unplugged and replugged everything, including the wires at the B-Junction. Nothing felt loose. I also noticed that unplugging a single shifter or derailleur doesn't stop the other one from functioning.

    I plugged it into the e-Tube software and everything was recognized (the B-Junction didn't show up, but I don't think that it would anyway. Let me know if I'm wrong about that).

    The battery is set in the seat post with some packing foam. I ordered the Ritchey mount to avoid the battery dropping down again. I'm not sure that this was the issue, and the battery could have certainly dropped down ages ago. But it's a good precaution.

    I guess I could go a to bike shop and have them run a diagnostic if it happens again. Please let me know if anyone has any other suggestions or things to check first.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    Please let me know if anyone has any other suggestions or things to check first.
    Go buy Campy SR mechanical. It's brilliant and uses no batteries.lol

  3. #3
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,396
    Oddly enough I just got a bike in today that had the same thing happen. Customer went to Italy, road for 5-6 days then bike just went dark. Nothing worked, no LED's, nothing. Unfortunately it was August in Italy so the entire f'ing country is on vacation including any bike shop that might have the slightest clue about Di2. I just hooked it up to e tube and got nothing, so now I have to take the damn thing apart to figure out that there is probably a bad wire somewhere.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I just hooked it up to e tube and got nothing, so now I have to take the damn thing apart to figure out that there is probably a bad wire somewhere.
    Maybe not. I figure that the only bad wires that would knock out the entire system would be
    -Junction A to Junction B
    -Battery to Junction B

  5. #5
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,396
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    Maybe not. I figure that the only bad wires that would knock out the entire system would be
    -Junction A to Junction B
    -Battery to Junction B
    Prob A to B on this bike, which is a Calfee w/ S&S couplers. At this point I have no idea where the B junction box is
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,723
    To the OP, please be aware that the Di2 connectors I have have '2' clicks when you push the wires into the FD & RD. When I originally installed them, I just went put them in till they clicked, the system started to get intermittant shifting, then I learned about the second click. All is well now... for me.
    BANNED

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,211
    And to add, mechanical works 100% of the time unless a cable broke. And going on a holiday trip with a battery operated drivetrain is just stupid.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    And to add, mechanical works 100% of the time unless a cable broke. And going on a holiday trip with a battery operated drivetrain is just stupid.
    There are a lot of stupid people out there, but I don't think riding with Di2 is that big of deal unless you are one.
    BANNED

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    And to add, mechanical works 100% of the time unless a cable broke. And going on a holiday trip with a battery operated drivetrain is just stupid.
    I'm not interested in your opinions about Di2.

  10. #10
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    And to add, mechanical works 100% of the time unless a cable broke. And going on a holiday trip with a battery operated drivetrain is just stupid.
    I agree. If your holiday trip includes over 1,000mi of riding, it would be stupid. Of course if that were the case, you'd just take the battery charger with you. Very simply solution.

    I'm sure when you go on holiday you take spare cables.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    332
    I've seen this on two bikes, mine and a customers. The failure was in the wiring harness from the shifters to the junction box. Replaced and bingo all was well.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    I've seen this on two bikes, mine and a customers. The failure was in the wiring harness from the shifters to the junction box. Replaced and bingo all was well.
    Can you post a link to the part you replaced? Thank you.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    Can you post a link to the part you replaced? Thank you.
    MY bad on this one, those were 6770 with the wiring harness/junciton box. best of luck

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    And to add, mechanical works 100% of the time unless a cable broke. And going on a holiday trip with a battery operated drivetrain is just stupid.
    I would bet a higher percentage of people using mechanical set ups have had issues with broken shift cables while riding than those riding Di2 bikes have and non working Di2 set ups. Even if you forget to charge them, it's the front DR that goes first then rear. With mechanical most broken shift cables are on the rear due to the frequency of shifts, and I would much rather have lose use of the front than the rear.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    588
    I am not interested in a debate between drivetrains. I am just looking for suggestions to fix mine.

  16. #16
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I would bet a higher percentage of people using mechanical set ups have had issues with broken shift cables while riding than those riding Di2 bikes have and non working Di2 set ups. Even if you forget to charge them, it's the front DR that goes first then rear. With mechanical most broken shift cables are on the rear due to the frequency of shifts, and I would much rather have lose use of the front than the rear.
    ^This^ You can always tell when someone posts w/ complete ignorance of the electronic drivetrains by saying 'Buy XXX mechanical'...generally the Di2 problems are few and far between...everyone will fray/break shifter cables if they wait long enough.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    932
    It is very probable you have an intermittent break in one of your wires. Probably the one from the battery. This is fairly common in copper wire that is subjected to constant bending back and forth (from vibration).
    I've tossed out at least a dozen cheap headphones used for running, that over time developed internal wire breaks.
    You can test the wires with a multimeter, and measure end to end resistance while bending the wire in every possible way. Usually the break occurs very close to the rigid connector area.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    It is very probable you have an intermittent break in one of your wires. Probably the one from the battery. This is fairly common in copper wire that is subjected to constant bending back and forth (from vibration).
    I've tossed out at least a dozen cheap headphones used for running, that over time developed internal wire breaks.
    You can test the wires with a multimeter, and measure end to end resistance while bending the wire in every possible way. Usually the break occurs very close to the rigid connector area.
    This is a good suggestion. It may have happened at the connection to the battery, since the battery was sitting in the seat tube, probably putting major strain on the wire.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2016, 01:35 PM
  2. Trek not liable for failure to warn of carbon fiber failure
    By RichardT in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-21-2015, 05:56 PM
  3. Frackin Hard Drives. . .Failure on Failure
    By Ridgetop in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 09:46 AM
  4. Sudden Carbon Failure: Reality or Myth?
    By rothko1903a in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 09:40 PM
  5. Power, power and more power
    By uzziefly in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.