Di2: synchro or semi-synchro. Why choose?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Di2: synchro or semi-synchro. Why choose?

Why isn't this a good idea: with default Di2 shifter setup, full synchro operation on the right-hand shifter and semi-synchro operation on the left-hand shifter—at the same time? Presently, you can only have one or the other.

Lots of people do not like synchro of any kind, and I totally get that. But, for those of us who do use it, wouldn't this be cool?

I know this isn't possible at the moment. I think it would be a useful feature for Shimano to add, though.

‘Hybrid Synchro’, anyone?

(Please, somebody come up with a better name than this.)

(Edited for clarity.)
    Last edited by BhSimon; 02-19-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I use both Synchro modes....and I honestly don't understand what such a "hybrid" would do in actual shifting terms that is different from the present modes.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I use both Synchro modes....and I honestly don't understand what such a "hybrid" would do in actual shifting terms that is different from the present modes.
    Thanks, Marc. You helped me to realise that my original post did not clearly express the idea of having both modes active at the same time, rather than choosing one or the other I've updated the original posting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Imagine this scenario: you intentionally want stay in the big ring (even cross chaining it) on a short power climb because you know the crest is arriving and you want to be in the big ring getting ready to power down the the descent after the crest.

Now if Di2 allows you to use both semi and full sync modes, then this could lead to this sequence of shifting:

1. as you approach the top of the climb (but not at the top yet) and need to shift into lower gears, full-sync mode might shift you into the small ring and smaller cog
    2. then as you crest the climb, you will now have to manually shift into the big ring (semi-sync mode), but this shifting will momentarily disrupt your cadence and probably will take you out of your rhythm.

I use semi-sync mode precisely because I want complete control of the front derailleur to avoid the above scenario.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Imagine this scenario: you intentionally want stay in the big ring (even cross chaining it) on a short power climb because you know the crest is arriving and you want to be in the big ring getting ready to power down the the descent after the crest.

Now if Di2 allows you to use both semi and full sync modes, then this could lead to this sequence of shifting:

1. as you approach the top of the climb (but not at the top yet) and need to shift into lower gears, full-sync mode might shift you into the small ring and smaller cog
    2. then as you crest the climb, you will now have to manually shift into the big ring (semi-sync mode), but this shifting will momentarily disrupt your cadence and probably will take you out of your rhythm.

I use semi-sync mode precisely because I want complete control of the front derailleur to avoid the above scenario.
    Totally agree. I would envisage this to be an additional mode, not a replacement for existing modes. For people who are happy with one or the other, nothing would change.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As a di2 newb, I found this article helpful.
    https://www.velonews.com/2017/05/bik...o-shift_437682
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!