What the what???

The difference a route makes

So, I'm setting up a SRAM 1X 11sp shifter and derailleur. I get my high limit set and begin to adjust the indexing. For the life of me I can't get it to shift clean through all 11 gears. If I get the cable tension tight enough to shift cleanly to the biggest cog, it's too tight on the other end and the chain rubs as I move down the cassette. I was to a point where I was starting to suspect a bent hanger, even though it's a new frame and derailleur.

Finally, I decide to disassemble everything back to the shifter lever and start over. In doing so, I see that where the cable/housing exit the shifter, there are two paths it can take. One path wraps the cable on the outside of the bars, the other wraps to the inside. I had the cable/housing routed to the outside and ran the brake cable on the inside. So, this time I decided to route the derailleur cable to the inside track and... viola. That little change in the routing was just enough fix the indexing issue.

I'm guessing the distance it was traveling around the outside of the bars either didn't allow it to pull or return properly.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    So, I'm setting up a SRAM 1X 11sp shifter and derailleur. I get my high limit set and begin to adjust the indexing. For the life of me I can't get it to shift clean through all 11 gears. If I get the cable tension tight enough to shift cleanly to the biggest cog, it's too tight on the other end and the chain rubs as I move down the cassette. I was to a point where I was starting to suspect a bent hanger, even though it's a new frame and derailleur.

Finally, I decide to disassemble everything back to the shifter lever and start over. In doing so, I see that where the cable/housing exit the shifter, there are two paths it can take. One path wraps the cable on the outside of the bars, the other wraps to the inside. I had the cable/housing routed to the outside and ran the brake cable on the inside. So, this time I decided to route the derailleur cable to the inside track and... viola. That little change in the routing was just enough fix the indexing issue.

I'm guessing the distance it was traveling around the outside of the bars either didn't allow it to pull or return properly.
    That had nothing to do w/ it, both are fine to use depending on bar shape and preference. If you think about it the length of the housing stays the same no matter the route so it couldn't have any negative effect on the shifting.

If you were adjusting the limit screws w/ the cable attached to the derailleur that was probably your problem. Or a kinked cable inside the housing. Or a bent derailleur hanger. Or a piece of housing that you didn't open the end up enough. Or the cable isn't wrapped around the rear derailleur properly.

ETA: Since you fixed it I would say the housing wasn't properly seated in the shifter or someplace else, but the routing was definitely not the problem.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    That had nothing to do w/ it, both are fine to use depending on bar shape and preference. If you think about it the length of the housing stays the same no matter the route so it couldn't have any negative effect on the shifting.

If you were adjusting the limit screws w/ the cable attached to the derailleur that was probably your problem. Or a kinked cable inside the housing. Or a bent derailleur hanger. Or a piece of housing that you didn't open the end up enough. Or the cable isn't wrapped around the rear derailleur properly.

ETA: Since you fixed it I would say the housing wasn't properly seated in the shifter or someplace else, but the routing was definitely not the problem.
    What he said.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    What he said.
    Thanks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Opus51569 - I had a similar experience with a Force 1x set up. I've been a Shimano guy for decades. This was my first build with SRAM's road stuff. And, I could NOT get the damn derailleur to shift properly. Too much tension. Too little tension... I almost (gulp) took the bike to a shop. But then the cable slipped out of the cinch bolt. That was a blessing in disguise.

I put the bike in the stand - almost upside down - and really paid attention to the cable routing and orientation of the cinch bolt. Turns out, I had the cable routed incorrectly at the derailleur. Once routed properly, the shifting was crisp up and down the cassette.

Now, if I could make a SRAM Force shifter perform as well as a Shimano shifter I'd really be a good DIY mechanic ;-)

What the what???

The difference a route makes

Update...

Apparently, I only thought I had it fixed. A few rides up and down the street and it was back to skipping in low gears and rubbing in high gears. So, I took it all apart again. I swapped new cable and housing. No good.

Finally, I was left with the only other thing I could think of... the hanger. Itís a brand new frame and derailleur. Surely it couldnít be that? When I reinstalled the derailleur, I took a close look at the alignment of the pulleys to the cassette. Damned if it wasnít canted slightly outward. So, I removed the derailleur again and threaded in an old axle to give me some leverage (an integrated hanger on a steel frame). A slight bend put it in better alignment. I reconnected everything and so far it shifts and lines up like it should. Iíll wait until I finish a shakeout ride, though, before I declare victory.

That was one of my suggestions in post #2.

What the what???
    That was one of my suggestions in post #2.
    Since you obviously need it... hereís your cookie:

RoadBikeReview Member

That's a bit harsh. You asked a question. You got great feedback... and then acted like a $&@#. Seems like a good way to filter out that great feedback for next time.

You had less than no clue when you started trying to get your bike working properly. You repeatedly concentrated on the cable/housing when you could have just taken a quick look at the hanger and seen what was causing the problem...or not. You finally fix it and you're going to 'declare victory'? Sounds like you need a box of cookies and pats on the back from everyone within arms reach.

You are now on the short ignore list. Not that it's any big deal, but it is short. After 14+ years here.

What the what???
    I realize itís not the Lounge, but does no one here have a sense of humor? The cookie was a joke, hence the smiley emoji after.

I appreciate the response and, yes, cxwrench... to the surprise of no one... you were correct.

Jeebus people, lighten up. Or don't. But it wasn't intended as an insult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 03-02-2018 at 10:49 AM.

I realize itís not the Lounge, but does no one here have a sense of humor? The cookie was a joke, hence the smiley emoji after.

I appreciate the response and, yes, cxwrench... to the surprise of no one... you were correct.

Jeebus people, lighten up. Or don't. But it wasn't intended as an insult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, understood.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Serously, the best ~$65 I've ever spent on bikey things..

I'm obsessive about clean running/shifting bikes. Every time I have a derailleur off of a bike for any reason, I put this thing on before it goes back on, and make sure everything is aligned (it usually is).

It literally takes two minutes to do, and can eliminate a lot of frustration, especially when dialing in a new/rebuild install.

The Park tool works, and it's cheap. But it's cheap and heavy. One you use one of these it's all over. Way more $$$ but well worth every penny.

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/colle...s/products/hag

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    The Park tool works, and it's cheap. But it's cheap and heavy. One you use one of these it's all over. Way more $$$ but well worth every penny.

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/colle...s/products/hag
    If bike mechanics were a full time job for me, or I was a pro or semi-pro, for sure I'd invest in these tools. Especially if I had to travel with them, where lightness would matter.

The Park DAG-2 is more than adquate for my needs. It stays in my toolbox in my workshop when I'm not using it, and it costs $120 less than the Abbey version.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    cx,
    Is Wil Weaton on your list?
    Sounds kinda like Sheldon on Big Bang.😀