disc brake to caliper brake conversion?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

disc brake to caliper brake conversion?

I made a somewhat impetuous purchase of a Fuji Altamira 1.1 carbon cyclocross frame, set up for disc brakes. It was a sweet deal but I intended only to use it for cool season road training and "iffy" days where it might rain or be wet roads.
    Anyhow, I detest disc brakes (no offense to the disc lovers here!) for a number of reasons I don't want to get into. I want to put caliper brakes on and can do so with long-reach Tektros.

The rear brake however is a problem... There is a fairly thin carbon brake bridge with no drilled hole. It is too slender to drill and take a bolt. Has anyone ever heard of a bolt on brake bridge of some sort? Google isn't turning up anything for me...

Adorable Furry Hombre
    If there isn't a brake bridge hole...then you are pretty much hosed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I should add that I love the ride of this frame far more than I expected to for $700, and it would be perfect with rim brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It does appear you're SOL.
    Anyhow, I detest disc brakes (no offense to the disc lovers here!) for a number of reasons I don't want to get into.
    I am curious about the reasons. I have no opinion on discs, but I haven't heard anyone express a serious downside beyond wheel-change compatibility and the like. I'd think especially for a bike you espect to ride in the wet they'd be desirable, or at least acceptable.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I don't want the thread to derail into that debate; I'm just dreaming of some sort of brake bridge dealio (say, like 2 plates) that bolts to your seat stays...some decently-made garage shop affair.

I don't like the modulation feel of disks as well, having ridden campy brakes for 30+ years. I find it painstaking to adjust the lever travel. If tight enough to not have excessive lever travel the disc invariably will rub somewhere in its revolution, because they make the discs stupid- thin and they all warp a little. Rarely do I see a nice perfectly true disc. So you have to tweak the disc to true it, which is trial and error.

Yes, I have the skills to set them up, I just find it a PITA. Then you swap a wheel out and have to dink with how it sits in the dropout to avoid the same rubbing problem.

They're just too finicky. IF I did a lot of rain riding, or gravel riding, their advantages would outweigh the rubbing issue. Also, I do have multiple conventional rim-brake wheel sets I would like to be able to use in this Fuji frame.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I would recommend that you not even think about trying to do this, especially w/ a carbon frame. I you decide to go ahead w/ the conversion, I call dibs on all your stuff after the estate is settled.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Haha, right. Not worth your time, you would gain little...
    I would think if anything, such a clamp would spread the load over a larger area than a normal brake bridge would, as long as there are no sharp edges, etc. Plus, probably 70% of your brake force is done by the front brake anyway.

Yeah, I know... sell the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclisme! View Post
    Haha, right. Not worth your time, you would gain little...
    I would think if anything, such a clamp would spread the load over a larger area than a normal brake bridge would, as long as there are no sharp edges, etc. Plus, probably 70% of your brake force is done by the front brake anyway.

Yeah, I know... sell the frame.
    Sounds like you're not familiar w/ the way frames are designed and engineered and the loads they are expected to deal with. You want to put a brake on an area of a frame that was never expected to deal with ANY load in that direction, nor were the tubes built w/ the expectation of being clamped in any way. If you're that anti-disc, sell the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Exactly, either ride the frame with disc as it was designed or sell it and get the correct frame. You are only opening up the risk of frame failure and injury once you start modifying the frame.
    2015 Giant TCX Advanced 1
    2014 Giant Propel Advanced Di2
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5-1
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    OP did not give any details on the brake brand/model/hydro or cable. But, wouldn't it be easier to upgrade disc and/or brakes?

Sounds like whatever is on the bike is lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclisme! View Post
    Anyhow, I detest disc brakes (no offense to the disc lovers here!) for a number of reasons I don't want to get into. I want to put caliper brakes on and can do so with long-reach Tektros.
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    OP did not give any details on the brake brand/model/hydro or cable. But, wouldn't it be easier to upgrade disc and/or brakes?

Sounds like whatever is on the bike is lacking.
    Sounds like the OP just can't deal w/ disc brakes for some reason. He didn't provide any other reason so we can't suggest anything to help him out, other than advising against (probably) destroying his new frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    "I don't like disc brakes, I'll buy a disc-specific frame" I wouldn't clamp a bridge to steel, aluminum, titanium, or carbon seatstays. The braking forces are going to create more issues than the clamping forces and you are not going to want to lose brakes and crack your frame at the same time. Darwin award contender.
    Click here to edit signature.