Disc Brake Question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Disc Brake Question

I have some Shimano R785 shifters. They came with post mount brakes but now am wanting to put it on a bike that had flat mount brakes.

Can I use R785 shifters with flat mount brake calipers (Think Ultegra)?

Thanks!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Yep.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Yep.
    Thanks! Just wanted to make sure the pressure in the larger cylinder isn't too much for the flat mounts. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I’m going to go on record predicting that this will be the shortest thread EVER about disk breaks on the Interwebz. When I saw the thread title I ran to make popcorn. I thought the follow-up sentence/question would be (a) will I notice a difference between rims and disks (b) do I really need hydraulic vs cable actuated (c) I’m thinking about upgrading my bike to disk.... but cx gave a definitive answer on the first replay with a thumbs up. End of thread.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I’m going to go on record predicting that this will be the shortest thread EVER about disk breaks on the Interwebz. When I saw the thread title I ran to make popcorn. I thought the follow-up sentence/question would be (a) will I notice a difference between rims and disks (b) do I really need hydraulic vs cable actuated (c) I’m thinking about upgrading my bike to disk.... but cx gave a definitive answer on the first replay with a thumbs up. End of thread.
    Are you starting trouble here?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    don't be so quick to assume it's over for this one - This forum is very capable of turning something simple into a run on stream of points and counter points that drift from technical minutia to grammar and punctuation.....I predict this horse aint dead yet.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    don't be so quick to assume it's over for this one - This forum is very capable of turning something simple into a run on stream of points and counter points that drift from technical minutia to grammar and punctuation.....I predict this horse aint dead yet.
    Shouldn't you be starting a sentence with a capital letter?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Are you starting trouble here?
    Shouldn't you be starting a sentence with a capital letter?
    LMAO. Things start slowing down this time of year in the northern hemisphere so we gotta keep the traffic active. I was glad to see that Srode used the proper plural form of minutia instead of the singular noun minutiae. I would've been all over him for that.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Breaks? BREAKS?
    Really?

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Breaks? BREAKS?
    Really?
    Give me a brake!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Give me a brake!
    Sounds like it's time to take a break, or maybe to put a brake on this thread?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Back on topic briefly before further derailleurment - their are adapaters from Shimano that will aloud you to put the posed mount calibers on a flat mount fraim. (this auto fool some dicusion)
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Russian Troll Farmer
    I’m going to go on record predicting that this will be the shortest thread EVER about disk breaks on the Interwebz. .......
    Well, you were wrong!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"