Disc Caliper Compatibility Question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

Disc Caliper Compatibility Question

I'm building up a road frame with IS disc mounts and would like to use the Ultegra R8020 groupset (with newest gen hydraulic discs). These disc calipers are flat mount, but in the product specifications, the Shimano website has the cryptic added comment "(available for IS mount with mount adapter)". I don't see any available flat-to-IS mount adapter from Shimano or anyone else. Does that comment mean there are substitute calipers that are IS-compatible or is there a flat-to-IS adapter that I haven't found?

Rub it............
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    This is an adapter for a post caliper to flat mount frame. I'm looking for an adapter for a flat mount caliper to a IS mount frame. I don't think it exists but I don't understand the comment from Shimano in the original post.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by velojon View Post
    I'm building up a road frame with IS disc mounts and would like to use the Ultegra R8020 groupset (with newest gen hydraulic discs). These disc calipers are flat mount, but in the product specifications, the Shimano website has the cryptic added comment "(available for IS mount with mount adapter)". I don't see any available flat-to-IS mount adapter from Shimano or anyone else. Does that comment mean there are substitute calipers that are IS-compatible or is there a flat-to-IS adapter that I haven't found?
    I've never seen or heard of such an adapter being made by anyone. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I'd be very surprised.

I.S. being before the heyday of discs, the stuff is too old to be "modern" and too new and inelegant to be "vintage" so it lands in the junkbin of unmaintained "standards" throughout history.

That is a post-mount adapter. Not I.S.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Just checked QBP and they have nothing that will do that. The old IS taps stick out too far to use a flat mount caliper anyway...well, I'm 99% sure they do as I've never tried it since it's so far out of date.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks all - consensus is that flat mount calipers will not go on an IS frame no how, no way. The best solution is to substitute in the Ultegra post mount calipers and put them on the IS frame with adapters.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by velojon View Post
    Thanks all - consensus is that flat mount calipers will not go on an IS frame no how, no way. The best solution is to substitute in the Ultegra post mount calipers and put them on the IS frame with adapters.
    One thing to be wary of...in using post-mount with the new stuff, they changed which brake hose goes to the new R8000/9000 flat mount parts versus the post-mount that came before. They also use different inserts IIRC.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...29c/edit#gid=0
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "