Do Tektro brakes suck? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, just ordered them from Amazon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    They do suck, and safety is not the thing I would trade for $ 110.Good luck riding Tektro brakes in hard rain, or mud...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsgman View Post
    I have Tektro R530 dual pivot and changing to kool stop pads made a world of difference. but the Tektro caliper return spring does feel alittle weaker than Shimano.
    +1 on weak return spring... The rear brake on mine seems particularly reluctant to return to where it started. Otherwise I haven't got any real complaints about them. I've never had issues with reluctant stopping; quite the opposite in fact. Sometimes when riding in a group they can be a little treacherous for whoever's following me. Although that could just be my ham-fisted braking

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm wondering whether the cable pull required for the Tektro R580 calipers is more compatible with the older 105-5600 levers than with the newer 105-5700. Does anyone know?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    How do you get Kool Stop Salmons on Tektro brakes? I ordered a pair of Salmons before my new bike showed up because I had heard how bad the Tektro pads are, but I couldn't configure all the washers properly to make them fit. Because of the design, it seemed like the caliper doesn't open wide enough to accomodate the pad. Part of it has to do with the fastener Kool Stop provides.

EDIT: I do want to comment and say that I don't really have an issue with the stock Tektro pads. They seem to work just fine. However, that comment is based on not having tried better pads yet.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nelliott500 View Post
    I couldn't configure all the washers properly to make them fit.
    Just a general thought: sometimes, moving a washer to the other side of the caliper will solve that problem. Obviously, convcave curved washers will have to mate with convex curved washers or - surfaces. But some of those flat washers or spacers can sometimes live on the other side of the caliper or be gotten rid of altogether.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would rather have Tektro brakes with Kool Stop pads than Shimano brakes with their stock pads. As others said, the pads make all the difference. Considering the price differential between Shimano and Tektro, you can get the Tektros with Kool Stop pads and still come out ahead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Just a general thought: sometimes, moving a washer to the other side of the caliper will solve that problem. Obviously, convcave curved washers will have to mate with convex curved washers or - surfaces. But some of those flat washers or spacers can sometimes live on the other side of the caliper or be gotten rid of altogether.
    Oh, I tried a handful of configurations. Maybe I need to order the version for DuraAce/Ultegra even though I have Tektro brakes. Here is a DuraAce/Ultegra type and here is the regular threaded Salmon. You can see how much longer the stud is.

It looks like the DuraAce/Ultegra matches the style of fastener of the stock Tektro pads. This is stock pic of the brakes.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nelliott500 View Post
    Oh, I tried a handful of configurations. Maybe I need to order the version for DuraAce/Ultegra even though I have Tektro brakes.
    Yes, I see what you're saying. I think those Supra pads were primarily designed for V-brakes. They might fit some caliper brakes as well, but obviously not yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2018
    Just wanted to share my Tektro USA and the absolute disgrace of a service team they have in UTAH, queue banjo. I had a really bad accident resulting in nearly 2 years off work. I can’t use my right fingers, so needed a brake solution. I waited 3 months, all of those beautiful days of UK summer for this tectro dual brake to arrive. When it did, I thought this must be some sort of joke. The crudest piece of pig iron, wrapped badly in Christmas wrapping paper. The guy must of thought I was from Downton Abbey, I was nothing but nice to them. I put the piece of .... in the bin where it belongs. I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to make fun of disabled people. Avoid.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by blanco77 View Post
    Just wanted to share my Tektro USA and the absolute disgrace of a service team they have in UTAH, queue banjo. I had a really bad accident resulting in nearly 2 years off work. I can’t use my right fingers, so needed a brake solution. I waited 3 months, all of those beautiful days of UK summer for this tectro dual brake to arrive. When it did, I thought this must be some sort of joke. The crudest piece of pig iron, wrapped badly in Christmas wrapping paper. The guy must of thought I was from Downton Abbey, I was nothing but nice to them. I put the piece of .... in the bin where it belongs. I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to make fun of disabled people. Avoid.
    Still pissed off about this are ya?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Tourist
    To answer the question, yes they suck. Now, will they be good enough for you, very possibly. What's adequate braking power for one rider is not the same as for another rider. I would never accept to ride with many versions of Campy Record or Shimano Dura-Ace brakes, but obviously they have been good enough for many pros. Just the same, I would never go in the Alps with Tektro brakes, but they are fine for many riders in this group. Also as mentioned, Koolstop pads are great. Many people also recommend Swisstop, personally I've always been very happy with Koolstop.

[REDACTED]
    Define "suck". No, the Tektro brakes I have had experience with are nowhere as good as Shimano 105 or above, but they are nowhere near as bad as a pair of Cane Creek brakes I once had.

However, TRP (Tektro's high end brakes) are actually quite good and rival Shimano.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

a real member's member
    i've had nothing but great operation from my tektro dual-pivots. i have them on three vintage keepers. 539 on the front; 559 on the rear. they're a great value. though, i do always toss the pads and use kool-stop refills in the shimano-like shoes.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Anyone that throws out the blanket statement that 'Tektro brakes suck' is pretty much an idiot. Tektro makes TONS of brakes of all different types and quality levels. Sure, some suck. Same w/ pretty much all manufacturers that make more than 1 level of a component.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Still pissed off about this are ya?
    Pissed enough that he opened an account here just to post his screed......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Rub it............
    I had good braking with Tektro 539's. Ditched the stock pads for some Koolstops. World of difference.

I agree, blanket statements mean nothing and they suck.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Anyone that throws out the blanket statement that 'Tektro brakes suck' is pretty much an idiot. Tektro makes TONS of brakes of all different types and quality levels. Sure, some suck. Same w/ pretty much all manufacturers that make more than 1 level of a component.
    Ummm.....yup.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12