Do you need the spacer for Shimano 10 speed cassette?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Do you need the spacer for Shimano 10 speed cassette?

Recently swapped wheels, from Spinergy Xaero to Easton Ascent 2.

Swapped the 10 speed Ultegra cassette over with supplied spacer, but when in the highest gear at the back and on the middle ring the angle means the chain (Dura Ace 10 speed) is catching on the side of the next sprocket.

This used to happen with the Spinergy wheels when I was running a 9 speed cassette and I put it down to the wrong width chain but the problem went away went I changed to 10 speed.

Is there any way around this problem (like removing the spacer to move cassette in more and reduce angle) or do I have to live with not being able to use the highest gear in the 39 ring?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

simple...

Most riders learn quickly that the little ring and smallest cog is not supposed to be used. Neither is the big ring and largest cog.

The combinations in red are generally unuseable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by primalcarl
    do I have to live with not being able to use the highest gear in the 39 ring?
    Yes. But it's not anything to be missed.

There is another combination, like in the 53 and 2-3 cogs up, that duplicates that gear - and because the alignment is so much better, it runs more efficiently.

You have a bike with 2 chainrings and 10 cogs. Despite what the guys at the bike shop say, you do not have a 20-speed bike.

Enter the appropriate information into this website, and you'll see what is going on, when it's best to shift from one ring to the other, and so on.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

The spacer you are looking to move/remove is there to keep mechanical things happy; like avoiding having the chain, mech, or freewheel interact badly with the spokes. Let it be.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for that guys, that's made it clear. I come from a mountainbike background where I've always been able to use all gears in the middle ring, but knew about not using big ring and lowest gear

RoadBikeReview Member

It's because road bike stays are short.......

The difference between Mountain bike chain stays and Road bike chain stays are a good few cm's. The Road stays are shorter so they increase the chain angle. With 10 speed systems, they are pushing the edge of all gears being usable. Some road bike double cranks with long chain stays will get all gears....it depends on the frame.

Matt P.
    "People ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike - busting my ass - six hours a day. What are you on?"
    Lance Armstrong