Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,991

    Does anyone make a quill stem that ...

    1. Fits a 1" threaded headset
    2. Has a clamp that works for a modern (31.8) bar
    3. Has some rise (not just a old school 17 degree)
    4. Is polished, shiny and beautiful

    I'm probably dreaming.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,046
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    1. Fits a 1" threaded headset
    2. Has a clamp that works for a modern (31.8) bar
    3. Has some rise (not just a old school 17 degree)
    4. Is polished, shiny and beautiful

    I'm probably dreaming.
    I do not think that exists. My solution was to buy a quill adapter and then find a polished silver threadless type stem to attach to it. That gives you lots of options for length and rise. It will not have that classic quill look though

  3. #3
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,991
    Well, there is custom -- this place looks interesting and not too awful expensive

    Custom Stems – Kinetics

    I sent them an email. Its for my wife's Eddy Merckx. I built it up with nice shiny Campy Athena parts and a Cinelli 1A stem and Giro d' Italia bars and its not working for her.

  4. #4
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,694
    if you find a black aluminum one, you can always deanodize it with oven cleaner (with lye) and then polish it.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  5. #5
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,991
    I think what's at odds are quill and 31.8 bar clamp.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    334
    Start here:
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Dimension-...CABEgLyc_D_BwE

    Then use whatever 1 1/8 threadless stem you like.

  7. #7
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,991
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    Start here:
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Dimension-...CABEgLyc_D_BwE

    Then use whatever 1 1/8 threadless stem you like.
    That's what DaveG suggested. And I may end up doing that. It's cheap and easy.

    Doesn't look like this though
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,046
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    That's what DaveG suggested. And I may end up doing that. It's cheap and easy.

    Doesn't look like this though
    You still can find quill stems and if you are OK using a 26.0 bar (they did not stop working just because fatter bars became the norm) then all is well

  9. #9
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,991
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    You still can find quill stems and if you are OK using a 26.0 bar (they did not stop working just because fatter bars became the norm) then all is well
    Yeah, I know, but my wife complains that the aluminum bar I have on there isn't as comfortable as the carbon bars she has on her other bikes. Carbon bars with 26.0 diameter aren't being made anymore, and I hate paying a bunch of money for a used carbon bar that may not be safe. I think it's either your solution or something custom.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I do not think that exists. My solution was to buy a quill adapter and then find a polished silver threadless type stem to attach to it. That gives you lots of options for length and rise. It will not have that classic quill look though
    +1 on this. If you can slam the stem, the quill adapter looks pretty good.

  11. #11
    Huge in Japan
    Reputation: craiger_ny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Yeah, I know, but my wife complains that the aluminum bar I have on there isn't as comfortable as the carbon bars she has on her other bikes. Carbon bars with 26.0 diameter aren't being made anymore, and I hate paying a bunch of money for a used carbon bar that may not be safe. I think it's either your solution or something custom.
    If that's the issue have you tried double wrapping? It's not the same as going to the bar size you are asking about but may be an option.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,204
    https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ceplate-31-8mm

    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=1728

    I just tried opening these and got nothing, don't know why. The https://velo-orange.com/ stem is branded as velo-orange and it's a nitto stem at https://www.universalcycles.com/
    Last edited by velodog; 07-12-2018 at 04:42 AM.
    Too old to ride plastic

  13. #13
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,991
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ceplate-31-8mm

    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=1728

    I just tried opening these and got nothing, don't know why. The https://velo-orange.com/ stem is branded as velo-orange and it's a nitto stem at https://www.universalcycles.com/
    Kind of homely, but it's got everything I'm looking for. You da man.

    Question -- when they say 90 degree extension, how do you interpret that? I think of 73 (-17) being parallel to the ground. If its 90 degrees from the quill, is the rise equal to the head tube angle on the bike frame?

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    25,293
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Kind of homely, but it's got everything I'm looking for. You da man.

    Question -- when they say 90 degree extension, how do you interpret that? I think of 73 (-17) being parallel to the ground. If its 90 degrees from the quill, is the rise equal to the head tube angle on the bike frame?
    90 degrees is the right angle that the stem comes out of the vertical part. Look at it. It would be parallel to the ground only on a 90 degree head tube.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    25,293
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    That's what DaveG suggested. And I may end up doing that. It's cheap and easy.

    Doesn't look like this though
    Oh man, tell da wife that bike needs to be ridden hard to appreciate its capabilities! Eddy Merckx didn't build bikes for wimps.

    That beautiful Cinelli 1 A stem with a nice pair of Cinelli Campione del Mondo 26.4 bars will then work perfectly on that lugged steel frame. It just demands a little more muscle. She'll get used to it, fall in love, and won't look back.

    Cinelli bars were ahead of the game to fatter tubing. They absorbed shock nicely compared to most of the "flippier" 26 mm bars, spreading it out to the arms without the sensation of losing control.

    Eddy Merckx's early bikes were like that. A little stiff for the uninitiated. But they proved themselves over the miles, a much coveted all round bike as good in centuries as criteriums.

    Not sure about value, though. Their NOS is getting pricey on ebay. I had to bid $120. to win an NOS Campione del Mondo a couple of years ago after bending one up in a crash.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-14-2016, 09:06 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 08:42 AM
  3. Does anyone make a 1" steerer ,25.4mm clamped STEM?
    By evs in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 05:20 PM
  4. Quill stem, stem adapter, oversize bar?????
    By Fattybiker in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 08:10 PM
  5. Quill stem for oversized bar?...
    By TurboTurtle in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 01:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.