Does a chain "settle in" to a cassette? I think that I know the answer.
    RoadBikeReview Member

Does a chain "settle in" to a cassette? I think that I know the answer.

I had an old Sram Red22 cassette in my parts drawer, with ~12,000 miles on it. If I remember correctly, I took it off because it was worn & skipping rather badly with a new chain. I found it two days ago, and put it on my bike with a used chain with ~2,400 miles on it, but under the 0.5" cutoff for being toast. No problems, no skipping. Then I put it on my other bike with a brand-new 11-speed chain, and I had minor skipping on two cogs, but only initially when starting from being stopped. After ~30 miles, I couldn't make it skip. So back to the chain with ~2,400 miles, and no skipping at all, but at first a few rough shifts. After ~15 miles on a 25 mile ride, it shifted almost like it was new, except for hesitating from the 11t to the 12t.

I'm a little surprised to be at over 12K on a XG1190 cassete, especially since it skipped so badly after I took it off a few years ago.
    It seems that the chain & cassette just had to "settle in", and now everything is fine.

Thought s anyone?
    At least I'm enjoying the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm pretty good about replacing my chains regularly. At least two times I have had 'skipping' in one cog after putting on a chain, and both times it pretty much went away by the end of the first ride. This was all Shimano stuff. Maybe the first time you abandoned the cassette you should have given it some more time but who knows, probably a different chain? And you know the chain isn't 'skipping'. And I think 0.5" is way past the cut off for elongation. But don't complain, you've revived a cassette that you thought was toast.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    He's not past half an inch, that's not possible. It's not even half a millimeter. It's actually .05mm over @ 4". That's 5 1/00ths of a millimeter. C'mon OP, get a little better handle on your understanding of measurements.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GDTRFB View Post
    I had an old Sram Red22 cassette in my parts drawer, with ~12,000 miles on it. If I remember correctly, I took it off because it was worn & skipping rather badly with a new chain. I found it two days ago, and put it on my bike with a used chain with ~2,400 miles on it, but under the 0.5" cutoff for being toast. No problems, no skipping. Then I put it on my other bike with a brand-new 11-speed chain, and I had minor skipping on two cogs, but only initially when starting from being stopped. After ~30 miles, I couldn't make it skip. So back to the chain with ~2,400 miles, and no skipping at all, but at first a few rough shifts. After ~15 miles on a 25 mile ride, it shifted almost like it was new, except for hesitating from the 11t to the 12t.

I'm a little surprised to be at over 12K on a XG1190 cassete, especially since it skipped so badly after I took it off a few years ago.
    It seems that the chain & cassette just had to "settle in", and now everything is fine.

Thought s anyone?
    Short answer to your thread title: yes. I've had it happen many times. And what possible reference are you making to 0.5 inches? 0.5 % maybe?

Old enough to remember ..
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ..........C'mon OP, get a little better handle on your understanding of measurements.
    It's that "metric stuff" that's so confusing.

After all these years in Canada I'm still grinning when people have a problem with a decimal system.

Chains, cassettes etc.
    After getting that Sram 46/38 chain wheel pairing I was curious to see how the old chain would like it. Fine most of the time, but not quite good enough, installed a new one yesterday. Now very smooth even with that old cassette.
    Never figured out how many kilometres/miles there are on the old Nishiki, but LOTS.
    Cheers

HJ
    ------------------------------
    Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream, BC Canada

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Short answer to your thread title: yes. I've had it happen many times. And what possible reference are you making to 0.5 inches? 0.5 % maybe?
    Oops, yes, 0.5%.
    On an 82 mile ride today with 4,200' of climbing I didn't get one skip.
    It's also much quieter than the Ultegra cassettes that I'm used to using.
    And at over 12K miles, I'm pretty happy.
    I'm about ready to put on a new chain, I usually do so just before I reach 0.5%.
    I'll see how the chain & cassette interact after that, but I'll give it a few rides.
    At least I'm enjoying the ride.