Drop Bars to Flat

Mar 2005

Drop Bars to Flat

After riding my roadie with drop bars for nearly a year I find I am still not comfortable with the bars, finding it hard/almost impossible to reach the brake levers if I am down in the drops.Also my hands start to go numb soon after starting off. I have tried a shorter stem and can reach the bars better but is difficult to activate the brakes, so I feel unsafe in certain conditions (steep downhill or lots of traffic)
    Can I use any style of MTB shifters & brake levers with the roadie gears & brakes if I change to a MTB type flat bar?

Sep 2004

Maybe these will help

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake...rop.html#cross

You can add them yourself or have your LBS do it. That way you can keep experimenting with the drop bars. It can sometimes take a while before your body adjusts (strengthens and stretches) to the bike.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    If you are using 8 or 9 speed Shimano, yes you can use mountain shifters and a flat bar. The road/mountain shifter index the same. Shimano also makes a flat bar road shifter set. I think it's called the Tourney(?)
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member

I don't think

These work better for road bikes. I have some.

There is also a 10spd version now.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin